importing hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LocoPollo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Has anyone any experience importing hatching eggs? I have done a little research adn it seems that one needs a permit and the sender needs a vet statement. Is there anything else? Thanks!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I guess it depends from where you get them. I dont think they will let you import european egs right now. THey already have the deadly bird flu there. A duck hatchery near where i grew up lost 365.000 birds, yes over threehundertfiftythousand birds.

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It depends where they are being imported from. If it's the UK, they cannot come from Suffolk or Norfolk.

The biggest hurdle appears to be the vet inspection, and the USDA regulations once the eggs arrive.

Has anyone else had the radio messages from the USDA lately? All kinds of warnings about egg smuggling and reporting smugglers, game thief style [​IMG]

4. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Quote:What is game thief style?

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Like Operation Game Thief; report a poacher (or in this case smuggler) and they'll send a reward.

6. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I saw a pic somewhere of a guy that tried to smuggle them by sewing them into his shirt. it didnt work lol

7. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by