impossible! my friends 8 weeker layed an egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ticks, Jun 8, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    As some of you may know I had to give away 2 of my pullets to a man because he was looking for more. Well any way he went in to get eggs and in the box right underneath one of my 8 week pullets was an egg. Is that possible?

2. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    maybe one of the other older hens he has laid the egg and it just got in the nest box on top of it?

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    The egg was small tiny like a first egg

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My guess it was either a different bird, or your 8 weeker is really 16-20 weeks old. I've opened many a 8 week old bird to prep for dinner, and if there are gender parts, they are still underdevloped.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    hmmmm. all of his birds are last years flock and are about a year and a few months old.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sometimes an older hen can lay small eggs on accident, sometimes these "wind" eggs can be the size of your thumb!

7. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    sometimes I have seen birds that at the end of their cycle they can lay either a small egg or a very large eggs, I had an ameraucana that just before she went into a molt she laid a very tiny egg then another one that laid a huge egg that I can not for the life of me see how she passed it, I never did get another egg from her.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    ok I will check up on them what if he is feeding them layer food would that effect it?

9. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I don't know but mine get them every now and then can't help from it and they never have laid an egg that young the youngest mine has ever laid was 20 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by