Impossible to find tree.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    So, I've found a tree that I actually want. A dwarf weeping mulberry! They're the neatest little trees in the world. Now, I cannot find any. I refuse to grow it from seed, but I cannot find them on the lists of trees/shrubs that our local nurseries have/can get. I can't even find anywhere that ships starter trees. Why on earth is this tree next to impossible to find? I'm hoping that something pops up closer to spring. Hopefully we can get the dwarf weeping mulberry AND the dwarf snowball tree that the bf wants at one place.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Maybe you can't find it because it is not a tree. It is a bush. Try searching for just Dwarf Mulberry or Morus alba which is the latin name. Try Gurney's. It may be too early to find saplings of this variety too. I'm not sure.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
  4. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
  5. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I've just been searching for "weeping mulberry". Nobody seems to have them. They're considered a bush/tree, just depends on the vendor, hence the reason that I don't use either term, lol. Some call them dwarf, some don't, so again, I cut that part out. Gurney's doesn't have them. They do, however, have the snowball tree, and in fact, that catalogue is the entire reason that the bf now wants a snowball tree, lol.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I never saw mulberries before.. they look good! Do they taste like blackberries or something like that?

7. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:The link I gave has them for $30. IDK if they have the snowball, but those are pretty. Just so you know in alkaline soil the snowball will be white. In acidic soil it will be blue. Adjust soil for which color you wish to have and they attract bees and butterflies galore!

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    $175?! Eek! We wouldn't be able to afford that one. The other site, however, is a tad over $50 to ship one. That's not bad at all. [​IMG] I'm probably going to check the local nurseries this spring anyways, to see if I can get a larger one for that price (maybe one that will fruit this year?)

As for mulberries, I've honestly never eaten them. However, the fruits are made into jams, pies, etc. Plus, the leaves are the only thing that silkworms eat. Bada-bing, double the use, plus it looks cool to boot!

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:The link doesn't have snowballs, but at least they have the weeping mulberries for an acceptable price! I didn't know that about snowballs, thanks a billion! Now I'll have to figure out what our soil is like out there. We already have the spot picked out for the snowball. Still working on the mulberry placing, since the mulberries do stain and attract birds (bird poop).

10. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:My Grandpa had a mulberry tree it must have been a standard it was huge and the berries were awsome !! Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by