imprinted rooster or hen?

angeliicrose

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2021
Hi all, i just wanted to apologise in advance because i am a newbie chicken owner and this may have already been discussed :)

anyways, about two weeks ago i got a day old chick from my local produce store in the hopes of getting over my fear of chickens. I’ve been speanding loads of time with the chick and it has even imprinted on me which is exactly what i was hoping for but my only
problem is that i don’t really know how to go on as it gets bigger and what to do if it turns out to be a rooster? i live in a residential area with some grumpy neighbours so i wouldn’t be able to keep it but that would break my heart… any advice? is there any way to maybe tell it’s sex?

tia!! -angeliicrose

First, regardless of how much time you can spend with it, you should probably get a second chick, they really don't like being alone :)

Now, about gender ID, there are multiple methods, comb, wattle, behavior and hackle or tail feathers. Could you post an upclose picture of them? Especially of their head, side and tail.

Edit now that I'm more awake: Even if it's a rooster, I have good news :) There are things called rooster collars, to greatly reduce and quiet crowing. I've never used one myself, but if the little one is a rooster, all hope isn't lost :)

It's imprinted on you because chickens are flock animals and you have it all alone. You really should have at least 2-3 birds of similar ages so they have a flock of their peers.

If it's male, you shoulder start looking into your options now, like are there towns or communities near yours where roosters are allowed? Mine is simple, we give it away as dinner.

First, regardless of how much time you can spend with it, you should probably get a second chick, they really don't like being alone :)

Now, about gender ID, there are multiple methods, comb, wattle, behavior and hackle or tail feathers. Could you post an upclose picture of them? Especially of their head, side and tail.

Edit now that I'm more awake: Even if it's a rooster, I have good news :) There are things called rooster collars, to greatly reduce and quiet crowing. I've never used one myself, but if the little one is a rooster, all hope isn't lost :)
i have tried to make sure that it isn’t alone as much as possible, i have 2 year old hens in my backyard and i let it spend time with them every day. is that enough to make sure it doesn’t get lonely?

unfortunately i haven’t gotten a chance to get photos because it doesn’t like to stay still for long unless roasting under my head but i’ll keep trying :)

in regards to the collars, that’s great news! i’ll go look them up now just in case :)

i have tried to make sure that it isn’t alone as much as possible, i have 2 year old hens in my backyard and i let it spend time with them every day. is that enough to make sure it doesn’t get lonely?

unfortunately i haven’t gotten a chance to get photos because it doesn’t like to stay still for long unless roasting under my head but i’ll keep trying :)

in regards to the collars, that’s great news! i’ll go look them up now just in case :)
Unfortunately, it is not enough, they really need constant company, especially at night :)

Just get pictures whenever you get a chance. You could hold them up to photograph :)

Back
Top Bottom