Imprinting Domestic Welsh Harlequin

BDucksC

Hatching
Aug 5, 2016
Hello this is my first thread, so I hope I'm doing this correct.

I have two welsh harlequin ducklings (domestic). A boy and girl. Bonnie and Clyde. I got them at one week old, after just having lost a mallard that I was extremely close to. I am aware that ducks imprint within 24-48 hours, like my mallard had, so I know these ducks will not imprint.

I'm just wondering, will they become somewhat acclimated? Currently have had them for a few weeks and they are still skidish. Will they eventually not run from me? Is there anything I can do to make this easier?

Hello this is my first thread, so I hope I'm doing this correct.

I have two welsh harlequin ducklings (domestic). A boy and girl. Bonnie and Clyde. I got them at one week old, after just having lost a mallard that I was extremely close to. I am aware that ducks imprint within 24-48 hours, like my mallard had, so I know these ducks will not imprint.

I'm just wondering, will they become somewhat acclimated? Currently have had them for a few weeks and they are still skidish. Will they eventually not run from me? Is there anything I can do to make this easier?
@BDucksC Welcome to BYC

WH are gorgeous ducks. I think if your spend as much time out with them and around them they will eventually get use to you. I have Muscovy and my oldest is 9yrs. She is very use to me but doesn't want me to pick her up but we go worm hunting often and the rest of my scovy's will follow me all over too and eat out of my hand so it takes time, to get them use to us. I do spends alot of time with all my birds since I am retired. it makes a big difference. Now I am working on building a relationship with 10 Runners and 2 Buffs that my Muscovy's hatched here and that is a work in progress. lol
But i won't give up . So you don't either. When your out you don't necessarily have to be right with them but just your presence there will go along way in making them feel comfortable and secure. Yesterday a large hawk was flying around over head and my ducks all ran to where I was standing at the fence. They know i will protect them and that makes me feel good.

Forgot to say a way to a ducks heart is through his tummy.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom