Imprinting ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happy duck, Apr 2, 2018.

1. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Hey guys!!!! I am getting ducks on Wednesday. They are coming from Metzer Farms, but because they have been handled will that affect them imprinting on me? I have never had them before and am sooo happy!!!!

Raenh, biophiliac and Julie Birb like this.
  2. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    I got my two ducks when they were about three days. The brooder was next to my bed and we were in a studio apartment so that almost always saw us which really helped them “imprint”. Just spend lots of time with them! I eventually had to sleep with my hand in the brooder or else they would cry for me.

3. happy duck

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Thanks so much!!!

4. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I teach AP Biology and was surprised when we were studying imprinting. The information we had said that in the first 6-24 hours they imprint on the first large moving "species" that they see, not a person. They clearly get to know and trust a person later on, but imprinting has already happened when you get them, since the people who packaged them handled them. My first two ducks were shipped ducklings and they still love me and trust me more than my other three adults, which I hatched. I think it has to do with time spent, like CarleeAnn did. I spent more time with the first two. I currently have six 12 day old ducklings (offspring of the older ones) which I hatched in my classroom. I had my students hold them a lot the first couple of days. They are already very tame and follow me anywhere I go.

5. happy duck

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Thanks so much! I was really hoping they would imprint on me.:( I have heard several people say they would imprint after 5 days, but some said only the first 24 hours. well a least they will still bond:lol:!!!!!!!!!!

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

What happens is within the first 24 to 48 hours They human imprint or Momma Duck imprint..They don't actually imprint to just one human that quickly as they do to Momma Duck. It's safe to say if you spend lots of time with them day one when you receive them they will imprint to you..

Raenh, TashaFrancois and biophiliac like this.
  7. happy duck

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    yay!!!!they are going to be here in just 1 hour.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Congrats...Best of luck with your feathered Puppies...:frow
    :woot

9. happy duck

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Thanks!!!!:ya

Raenh and chickens really like this.
  10. Miss Lydia