Impromptu chicken owning = random making of chicken home

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cassvanm, Jan 20, 2012.

1. cassvanm

cassvanm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    NE Victoria, Australia
    So out of the blue, we get two baby chickens. Yes they are very cute, yes I think they're lovely, but I wasn't expecting to own chickens! Ever!
    Anyway, rushed down and bought a fowl house. Wasn't happy with the size as I felt it was too small and too boring for them (do chicken's need entertainment???). So a quick run down to the hardware store, some random purchases including chicken wire and star pickets, and I've made a fenced in run for them!
    Yes, I understand I will have to improve it as they get older. I understand that when they're bigger they may be able to "fly the coop" however this is a bit of a stop-gap measure. I've literally owned these birds for 24 hours, so I had to be creative!
    Anyway, as you can see in the back, there is the fowl house that they will be locked into at night, and when we're not home. When they can be somewhat supervised, they will be out free-ranging in that big space filled with bugs, trees, and interesting things to look at.
    I'm a bit proud of myself!

[​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    SO, I have to ask, what brought on the impromptu chickens? very cool thrown together run though [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good job!

Looks like summer there, you must be from down under!

Welcome to BYC!

4. cassvanm

Jan 19, 2012
    NE Victoria, Australia
    Kari_dawn - my 2 oldest daughters (8yrs & 6yrs) went to stay at their aunts for a couple of nights for school holidays. They called me up the night before they came home and told me they had chickens, could we keep them. I am a sucker for animals, so I said yes!

Mahonri - Thanks :) and yes, we are from Australia. Stinking hot here today - about 100F I think! Way too hot for these poor little chicks in a tin coop! Needed to have somewhere for them to run around and get some fresh air.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    aaaahhh gotta love that! Thats actually how we were introduced to owning chickens...my school district does this very cool hatching project in elementary school...my parents let my sister put her name in a drawing for the babies thinking she wouldn't win...and we ended up with our very first chicken. A big ol buff orpington hen [​IMG]...looking back on it now, we were very lucky that she turned out not to be a rooster [​IMG]

Can we see pictures of the babies? What breeds did you get?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. cassvanm

Jan 19, 2012
    NE Victoria, Australia
    I have no idea what breed they are, but here are some photos (you'll have to turn your head - I can't work out how to turn the photos!)

Sally Speckles is the top one. Tulip is the bottom one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I am glad I came over to the coops section,and got to see your chickies and yard.Nice. I would build a run.Love the trees. Kids will have fun misting the chicks in your hot weather.

It is 11F here in Ohio.I would gladly trade for that 100F!

You can add bird netting to the top of the run area.Won't protect them 100%,but will slow down the animals trying to get them.

8. judyki2004

judyki2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    I'm glad to see your posting! Nice & fast housing/run solutions for the new family members, maybe you can make some modifications to the 'tin house' for extra ventilation, specially if they will be there during the day in these times you are not home. The chicks are lovely! I dont know much about breeds, but they look big and with feathered feet so maybe they turn to be brahma or cochins (two of my favorite breeds). Enjoy!

9. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    WOW 100degrees-it was -7 here yesterday morn and rightnow not much warmer -6.
    You will love the chickens , they are so much fun to watch!!!
    Remember chicken math[​IMG] IT happens
    Ayda

10. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    100 degrees? Wow. It's 1 here right now. [​IMG] Awesome that you took the babies!

I think Sally Speckles might need to be renamed Sam. That comb looks awfully red for a baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by