improvements and things wrong or right with my runners? *pictures*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducker123, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Ducker123

Ducker123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    GB
    just a few photos of my runner babies that are now 6 weeks old would like some feed back on whats bad and whats good (if anything) about them mainly the white one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It looks very nice to me. Nice and upright, good blending in of smooth shoulders, bill is level with the top of the head.

White Runners is a very competitive class, so I don't know how your bird will compete with other show Runners, but you don't have to be embarrassed to show up with that one.

Disclaimer: Runners are not my breed, and I am not going to look up correct leg and bill color. That should be easy enough for you to do yourself.

If that were an adult, the head would be out of proportion, but it's a juvenile and so it has a lot more growing to do.

I can't tell if the darker one could use a higher set on the bill, or if my eye is getting tricked by the markings.

3. Ducker123

Ducker123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    GB
    thank you, i think the colour of thee bill for the white one is all wrong as it is a pinky colour and i think it is supposed to be orange but not sure, thanks for you opinion [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    6 weeks old, give it more time. Bills tend to darken and fill in.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice stance. Looks like it has some very good breeding in it. The bill appears to turn up a bit on the end though, which is not what I understand to be ideal. I think they're supposed to dish downward, forming an even curve from the top of the forehead down to the tip of the bill. That is what my Holderread runners look like, anyway. Your best bet is def going to be to take it to some shows and get professional feedback, and then keep developing your line--or raising babies from good breeders. But I would say those are definitely nicer than average birds, especially the white one. Congrats!

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I know a lot can change as the ducklings mature but the only thing I see so far is the back. I know some judges frown on the back being scooped out or flat. They like a more rounded body appearance like a wine bottle or bowling pin, I believe. I thought mine were to die for beautiful until I read some articles on them. Not that I care to show but I might try it one day.

There is a super article on the APA website on Runner Ducks for showing.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Cat, I see you got a load more Runners sold, your down to 3. Me, Im up to...ohhhh I dont have enough fingers or toes. I still have Finn & William. Im loving the babies Finn is kicking out with the girls I also got from you. Ive had quite a few silvers all splashed up, very pretty indeed, Im loving the colour of them.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I'm down to exactly the number that I want. All my birds went to great homes, too. My sig line is wrong though--I'm number dyslexic. Or something. I have four of each breed--one drake, on hen in each group. They're a nice looking little group, I'm pleased with them.

Going to be hatching quail starting tonight. I sold all the quail but one lonely little guy, and I think he's old enough now that he won't be dead terrified if I introduce him to some nice little girls. So I'm going to hatch a few and keep a couple girls for him. Just waiting on the incy to get warmed up. My first hatch this season--can't believe I've been ALL SEASON without hatching. [​IMG]

So glad you're enjoying your boys and girls. Glad they get on so well--my two boys are also both from Holderread, and they get along so well. I do believe he breeds for temperament as well as productivity and beauty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by