1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Improving duck egg flavor & yolk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cassia311, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Cassia311

Cassia311 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    I have 3 lovely Cayuga ladies that have recently started laying.

I am noticing a lot of inconsistencies in the eggs.

Some of the eggs have orange yolks, others are yellow. Some have a very strong barnyard flavor, others are very similar to chicken eggs in flavor.

I'm curious. Is there a way to improve the flavor of the eggs? Is there a nutrient they are missing? Should I age the eggs a day or two before eating them? I just don't want to eat another barnyard flavored egg!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could you tell us how you manage them? What is their feed, their water setup, access to ponds, free ranging, plants or supplements they may eat, whether they have access to the feed of other animals . . . .

3. Cassia311

Jul 20, 2014
    Hi. Yes of course. Here are a few photos of their setup. They have about a 10 x 4 enclosure. There is a bucket for drinking water which is replaced twice a day. Everyday they are fed two 24 oz scoops of Purina Layena pellets. Outside they have a small makeshift pond but it has been frozen all winter so they just have a small dish that I replace with freshwater every day. They don't have any supplements but we do feed them food scraps they really love kale.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. Cassia311

Jul 20, 2014
    It said it embedded the images but I don't see them in my comments. I'll have to try again later today. Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you!

5. Cassia311

Jul 20, 2014
    Outside, they have a larger enclosure but they are not free range because we have too many predators. They do feast on bugs in the summer but there haven't been any this winter. Also, there aren't any other animals around them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by