Improving Lacing on blue birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by herechickchick, Dec 8, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    What would be the best way to improve lacing on a blue bird? Breed to Black?

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've been told that breeding black to a blue would get better lacing...but then I've also been told that using a black bird that came from a blue breeding would give better lacing.

Sorry I'm not more help than that?

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Black x blue generally yields better lacing than blue x blue or blue x splash. I've heard that splash x black makes for some nice lacing as well..

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im getting some great lacing from my blue roo and barred rock girls. As you can see, the roo has very little lacing, here he is with his barred rock girls.

[​IMG]

And heres some of their oldest kids. You can see the lacing is much better than the roo has.

[​IMG]

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    He may not have great lacing but my he is handsome. Great body shape and very nice comb and wattles. I really like him.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:The females would be as though you were breeding black x blue. The males should be either barred or blue barred.

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    To get better lacing on blue a breeder would have to produce birds that are eb or brown at the E locus. Then breed in the melanotic gene and the pattern gene. That should produce some very good lacing. Most blue birds are extended black or birchen. These two genes are not very good at producing lacing. If an individual would breed in the the pattern gene, dark brown and birchen you can get good lacing. I have never seen good lacing on a blue bird. Most of the time it is just edging and not a lace like you would find on a gold laced wyandotte or a sebright.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by