1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IMPROVING my COOP! :D

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by theprimouomo, Nov 13, 2010.

1. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    SOO....EM TRYING 2 IMPROVE MY COOP INTO BETTER PLACE FOR MY SEVEN MONTHS OLD CHICKENS !(3)
    THEY STILL DIDNT LAY ANY EGGS [​IMG] BUT EM SURE THEY ARE ABOUT TO [​IMG]

IMPROVING PLANS :
    -CHANCHING THE GROUND FROM SAND INTO ORGANIC GRASS (GOOD IDEA DONT THINK ) THUMBS UP [​IMG]

-PAINTIING THE COOP INTO (I STILL DIDNT CHOOSE ANY COLORS BUT WHAT DO U RECOMAND?)[​IMG]

-ADDING NEST BOXES (PAINTING IT TOO) [​IMG]

SOO WHAT DO YOU THINK IS IT GOOD ?
    IF U RECOMAND ANY COLORS PLEZ POST THEM [​IMG]
    ANY MORE IDEAS?

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR RESPONCE [​IMG]
    THANKS

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:First you do know that all caps is A. Hard to read and B. is considered yelling?

-the grass will be killed most likely, chickens scratch it up and their poop will kill it
    - I'd go with a color you love or a color that you have sitting around, Mine was both:
    [​IMG]
    -Good idea if I was you I would browse coop pages for ideas. Here are pictures of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    They will kill the grass you plant. My chickens kill the grass as they go LOL My hens did not start laying until they had boxes. I give the nesting boxses a [​IMG] You can paint the coop what ever you want! I will tell you if you paint your nesting boxes red it will attract your chickens to them. I just got red plastic crate ( not sure how to explain that better [​IMG] I will post a pic ) All my chicken wait in line to lay in that box even tho there are other boxes. That is also why chick waterer's have a red base.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    One nest box is plenty for 3 chickens. If you are constructing it you can make it a little bigger than the standard 12" or 14" cube if you wish. They will most likely only use one no matter how many you give them, and one per 4 hens is the usual recommendation.

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I have 5 laying chickens, I have 3 nesting boxes each hen has there favorite box. [​IMG]

6. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    Quote:First you do know that all caps is A. Hard to read and B. is considered yelling?

-the grass will be killed most likely, chickens scratch it up and their poop will kill it
    - I'd go with a color you love or a color that you have sitting around, Mine was both:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4439_coop-run_pictures_001.jpg
    -Good idea if I was you I would browse coop pages for ideas. Here are pictures of mine:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4439_coffin_nest_box.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4439_cat_pictures_007.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4439_chickens_8-5_001.jpg

man them some funny lookin chickens in that thrid pic of yours

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] I didn't see that the first time I looked at those pics.

8. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg

Love that cat pic. [​IMG]

Yes, they would like nesting boxes. They don't care about the colors - check mine out:
    [​IMG]
    It was painted by my three year old and his birthday guests. You can also see the nest boxes, very easy design that opens from the top. (Don't put them out in the open like that if you live in a cold climate - this only works here in the sub-tropics - which is true of my entire 'coop')

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

X2 - funny and precious. I have two that hang with the chickens.

10. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:What a great idea, and it made a great coop -- I knew immediately it was kids --- I know, I am hijacking --

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by