Impulsive Chick Buy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sseeley6, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Sseeley6

Sseeley6 New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Hi everyone! So over the past few months I have been thinking about buying chicks and did a little bit of research on them and thought I was ready to take the leap. Today I went out and purchased 6 chicks and 2 ducklings and am feeling a little underprepared to say the least. I have read up on basic care to get them through the next couple months but I am still feeling a little scared. Does anyone have any advise for me or just good know how you would be willing to pass on? Thanks!

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Welcome to BYC! I stalked the site for a long time before I joined. You can put any question/concern in the search bar and get many threads that most likely have already addressed the issue. We all had to be beginners at some time.

If you don't find the answer to your question after a good search, start your own thread and most likely you will get some friendly helpful advice.

Have fun!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Welcome Sseley6. You'll enjoy your little fluff balls. Have you built your coop yet? Be sure to make it bigger than the size recommended. Especially if you are taking your recommendations from the manufacturer. Happy chickens have plenty of room. You might also want to research the issues that may crop up with keeping a male duck with female chickens. It doesn't happen often, but an amorous drake can kill a hen. I'm sure you'll learn more than you thought you ever needed to know by reading other people's experiences. Some topics you might want to research: Fermented feed, coop design, deep litter, predators, and how to predator proof your chickens, free range options.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by