Impy does this, I wish Thor would!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Dec 6, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My young turken cockerel Impy is shaping up to be a fine roo. He has one behavior that I especially appreciate. In the evenings, at roost time, he will not go into the coop until every last hen has gone in. He does this even if it means standing out after dark, thanks to one naughty EE pullet that waits till the last minute to go in. He stands at the door to the coop like a sentinel and I have seen him chase the EE in if she dawdles too long.

I recall my big roo Thor doing this when he was younger, but he's since stopped. Now he goes to bed when he feels like it and the heck with the girls.

I wonder about the change and hope that Impy keeps up the good work.

Do your roos do this?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh yeah, I had several who did this over the years. Mr. Banty Pants was my favorite with his tiny squeaky-wheel crow. He'd stand guard and sound like a cell phone soaked in year old lard for over a week. He was sooooo proud of himself! The more I laughed the more he crowed.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh now, don't get me started on the crows. Thor has a fine crow. Impy sounds like a dying cow. They have crowing contests. I'm really hoping that Impy's crow improves with age. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:How well does anyone crow when wearing pink????? [​IMG]

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    yea, I was getting confused too [​IMG] but now I realize it is her way of honoring her pink silkie friend.

My rooster Reynard is like that as well. A Gentleman through and through.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I had one like that. Too bad he was way too rough with the girls the rest of the time. He is long gone now.

[​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's NOT my crow. It's Gritty's ears!

Impy- [​IMG]

BTW- I'll soon have Thor wrapped around my little pink toe.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Is this before or after you get your butt kicked by Thor? Four times now and counting! Impy's learning to run faster!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Is this before or after you get your butt kicked by Thor? Four times now and counting! Impy's learning to run faster!

It's reverse psychology.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

It's reverse psychology.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by