In a pickle.. what to do?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by malignstar, Aug 7, 2010.

1. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    I found someone close to me selling off a batch of 15 roosters for $1/ea. Since it looks like I won't be able to pick up my order from Cackle at the end of August like I wanted, I'm thinking this is the best way to fill the freezer for a bit. I'm not sure I'm mentally ready to butcher 15 birds TOMORROW. My mind is spinning!

2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Why do you have to butcher them all tomorrow? Can't you just butcher them slowly over time, 2-4 every weekend?

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Awesome price for fresh chicken!

4. malignstar

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    Unfortunately I have nothing set up for chickens yet. I'm still rehabbing my house. LOL! I'd have to get them all butchered same day. Lucky for me though they are for the dogs so I don't have alot of processing to do. I'm just chopping the heads, defeathering as much as I can and removing the intestines. I'm just not sure how difficult it is to chop off the head?

5. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Quote:Make sure your axe/knife is very sharp! [​IMG]

6. malignstar

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    Thanks NevadaRon. I've decided to go for it and will be giving the person a call this morning if they are still available. Going to check the garage for a sharp axe and I will probably even sharpen between birds. I don't want to whack it more than once. [​IMG]

7. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    for that price you could probly afford to have it done for you.

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Yup, I remember years ago, MOM bought 50 2 year old hens and when I got home from school we went over and picked them up. The guy deheaded and I but them in our plastic/paper lined trunk and we drove home and started processing.

Best homemade noodles I ever in my life had. And MOM had her canned chicken that winter with very little expense or work in the mean time.

9. malignstar

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    Well I got a call back and the husband is going to drive them to me (they live about 2 miles from my new house) tomorrow afternoon. [​IMG] I'm alittle anxious about it but kind of excited too because I really feel this is a huge step towards a more self sustainable lifestyle.

10. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Awesome! [​IMG] Let us know how it turns out, OK?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by