In A Pickle :/

WaterfowlWierdo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
I have a homing pigeon that I got for a school project and she has no cage she just comes and goes as she pleases, I have had her for 4 years now and I am putting her in the local fair because she has gorgeous feathers, I caught her tonight and put her in a 4ftx4ftx8ft mesh pen with a small hut for her to sleep in, the problem is I don't know if she will be over stressed as she hasnt been in a pen since she was 15 weeks old. Will she be ok? I only have 3 birds and they are spoiled out of their dreams and it would ruin me if one were to pass :(

I think it is only natural for the bird to experience some anxiety. The question remains how much.

Where it is such a large enclosure I personally think it will be minimized.

I am sure she will be flying up and be trying to escape the enclosure for some time but eventually she will begin to settle down.

Pigeon spook easily at the best of times. If she had a partner in the enclosure the stress level would lower in my opinion.

I find my birds become very tame and fly to me when I feed them unsalted peanuts or sunflower hearts as a hand treat only (they are still somewhat wary and still spook but not quite as bad).

Last edited:
Well I would get her a mate but my mother is not too apt to that :( And yes she absolutely loves peanuts and sunflower hearts! she has a dish with a variety of seeds and those are the first ones gone!

Homers are more aloof then most pigeons. I find the peanut or sunflower treat resolves those issues if they are feed strictly as a treat by hand. I am mobbed especially when I am in my loft. Not quite the same out of doors they are a bit more stand offish.

Back
Top Bottom