in a quandry about my roosters...

LaSombra

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Washington
I have 13 hens and 2 roos at this point. All my chickens were hatched in May. I had a brood the first week of May and one the last week of May, so they all grew up together and are approximately the same age.

Gallo is an EE roo and is my baby. When I pick him up, he'll put his chin on my shoulder and fall asleep on me. He's a great rooster: warns of danger, gives food to the girls, is a pretty good "lover" to his hens, cuddles with them at night, etc. He's been a little overprotective lately, though, and tries to flog the boys if they come in the coop. He even tried flogging my leg the other day. Not sure what that was all about.

Pikachu is a buff wyandotte and my son's rooster. He's a big boy, very nice roo. Works well with Gallo on herding the girls, etc. He's very respectful of me or anyone else that comes in the coop... just a bit clumsy with the girls, though, since he's so big. There are a few with missing back feathers.

So the problem is that just in the last few days, my two roosters have started fighting. I've had to clean up some wounds to the comb and wattles of both of them. Right now, Gallo is in "jail" because I just know he was the instigator since he's been flogging people and such. Is this going to help at all? Are they ultimately going to have to be separated? Is one of them going to have to go? :*( If I got rid of Gallo, the hens would be so upset. They just love him. His favorite girl, Candy, was so worried last night about him being in "jail" and was pacing around the cage, trying to find a way to get to him. On the other hand, Pikachu is my son's boy and he'd never forgive me if I got rid of him, especially since he's not instigating.

*sigh* I'm planning on getting more chicks this spring and I could probably split them up when I get a second coop built, but will they last that long together or will they end up killing each other?

Thanks for any help or opinions
smile.png

You should let them fight. They are just establishing their pecking order, and it usually takes just one or two fights to decide it. Don't worry, these breeds don't fight to the death, they just stop when one gives up. Small wounds to the comb and wattles are not deadly either, and usually don't need treatment. Let them fight it out, maybe stand and watch to make sure things don't get out of hand, and when one gives up, they probably won't be fighting any more.
smile.png

Quote:
Well, it's all the blood that worries me, though. Pikachu has big wattles and Gallo got a big chunk out of one of them. It was just dripping blood all over the coop and on some of the girls. I didn't want the whole coop bloody because of that so took him in the house for a few hours and put some blood stop powder on and such, kept him in until he seemed alright to go back out... I do hope they stop. I hate the fighting. Can't we all just get along?
tongue.png

by the way, chicken charmer, love your avatar pic. That little chick is just abour ready to push its way out
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, it's all the blood that worries me, though. Pikachu has big wattles and Gallo got a big chunk out of one of them. It was just dripping blood all over the coop and on some of the girls. I didn't want the whole coop bloody because of that so took him in the house for a few hours and put some blood stop powder on and such, kept him in until he seemed alright to go back out... I do hope they stop. I hate the fighting. Can't we all just get along?
tongue.png

Yeah, I agree totally. But roosters are very big-headed and all want to be at the top, so they fight to get their places.
tongue.gif

Quote:
tongue.png

Yeah, I agree totally. But roosters are very big-headed and all want to be at the top, so they fight to get their places.
tongue.gif

sounds like some men I know
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom