In a way, my chickens saved my neighbors boxer dog

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Redfeathers, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I was out in the chicken run today, feeding the girls some oatmeal...Normally I only stay long enough to feed them and visit a little bit and then I go in. It has been snowing off and on mixed with the rain today and it's just COLD out. I don't know why, but for some reason today I just sat out there and watched them instead of going back in. I think I was out for about an hour. I could hear my neighbors boxers in their back yard and heard one make a strange sound, I figured they were playing and maybe one nipped the other so I thought nothing of it. A few minutes go by and I hear a very distressed cry and then I knew something was wrong, so I looked over the fence and saw that one had fallen into an above ground pool and was trapped...it had been in that freezing cold water for at least five minutes if not more. I rushed over and banged on the door but nobody was there.. I ran to the back yard and just as she was going under I grabbed her and flipped her over so I could hold her front paws and head above water. This is a 4 foot pool and I'm just over 5 foot 3. I couldn't lift her to get her out and I knew she was going hypothermic. Thankfully my 6 foot son came a few minutes later and was able to grab the other end and we got her out. She was frozen solid, couldn't move and was having a hard time breathing. Meantime her sister was acting a little aggressive and I figured I was in for a bite or two..thankfully she backed off when I yelled at her to go lay down.. (whew). We took the poor frozen dog to our house and cranked up the heat to 85 and wrapped her in towels and blankets and rubbed her down to get the blood pumping. She started to seize a little from lack of oxygen, she just couldn't get her breath once she started shivering...her nostrils were closing she was sucking in so hard and her jaw was clenched...after what seemed like an eternity she finally could get air in. I have to say, it was touch and go I think. After about an hour of holding her and getting her circulation going she was able to lift her head up and she gave me a sweet kiss on the chin. This dog normally barks at me and is not very friendly. I think I made a new friend today though. She stayed for about three hours until the neighbor came home...I decided Boxers are pretty cool dogs, we just had to get to know eachother.
    Anyway, thank goodness for the chickens, otherwise I would never have been outside to hear her cries for help. I just hope the neighbor drains the pool or removes the picnic table that she jumped off and into the pool. A happy ending after a very stressful few hours. [​IMG]

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Thank You Jesus!! What a miracle. Blessings to you for saving that baby!! What a stressful situation... I'm so glad she's going to be okay.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What a great story! I'm glad the dog is OK and you were able to help her.

Congrats!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Great save and story Redfeathers! I DO hope the neighbors drain the pool, since a 4' leap is a walk in the park for a boxer. Did they seem to understand about doing that?

5. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] God bless you for saving that dog. Well, God bless you anyway but bless you EXTRA special for doing that.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    :hugsGood for you!

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Great job! I hope the neighbors appreciate you and your chickens and they do something about that pool.

8. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'm so glad you stepped in and saved the dog! That's a great way to end 2007- Saving a life!!! [​IMG]

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Thank God you were there or the poor neighbors would have come home to a drowned dog. I believe God puts us where we need to be at in certain situations and he wanted you out there. Thank you, Thank you and your son for saving this dog. Laura

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're definitely a hero in my book! Great work! My late great Cody was half boxer; they can be wonderful dogs. Sure hope your neighbor was eternally grateful-I would have been!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by