In a year

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tikkajazz94, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Im happy to inform than in less than a year, I will be getting chickens again [​IMG] we're buying a wonderful farm, a coop of my choice will be built. But it has to be strong. I don't know what kind of chickens I should pick.... any suggestions? Looking for good layers, colourful, and is hardy in the winter.

Edit to add:(I've had them before)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Congratulations! How exciting is that [​IMG] How many are you planning on starting with?

3. Tikkajazz94

Mmm, I dont know. I would have to have the min of 6 eggs a day. so I would say around a dozen. Cuz we are also going to open up a horse boarding business. So if people wanted to buy some eggs, they can do that [​IMG]

4. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Rhode island reds are all of the above that your look for forsure. Leghorns aswell although there not really that colorful.

5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    You might like more than 6 eggs a day with those plans. I tend to think it's easier to start with a few more than have to add later. At least from what I've read. I love my mix, and they are laying fine, even in the cold. BO's, EE's and BR's were the breeds recommended to me by people around my area for good layers. I love my blue and green eggs!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. Tikkajazz94

Quote:Quote:Well the six eggs a day would be for my family. Thats what Im mainly looking into to have, any extra eggs to sell, are bonus. The breed, I love the Green eggs, I was thinking of Ameraucana's for some reason

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Great news!! I'm sure you will come up with a good coop design. In case you don't have them, I'll give you links to Pat's pages. She lived in Canada so should have some credibility with you. I think her articles should be required reading for anyone building a coop and run.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s
    Cold Coop (winter design) page:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

Pat’s
    Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

You
    have a lot of choices for breeds with your criteria. One concern is that the single combed breeds are a little more susceptible to frostbite, but many people in very cold climates keep single combed breeds without heat in the winter and don't have a problem. A proper coop with plenty of ventilation but no breezes hitting them while they sleep is the key.

The Chanticleer was developed by Canadians, so you might want to look at that breed. The Buckeye was developed by a woman for the Ohio winters, so that might be of interest. They both have smaller combs. The Wyandottes immediately come to mind as perfect for your criteria. I'd give a lot of consideration to the Easter Eggers (EE's). They normally have smaller combs and may lay blue or green eggs. EE's have no real criteria since they are not a breed, the only real description is that they should lay a blue or green egg, so rate of laying can really vary. But if colorful is one of your criteria, you might really like them and their eggs. You will not find true Ameraucanas at any hatchery, although they call them Ameraucanas.

Some of the single combed breeds that should do really well for you are the Black Australorps, Delaware, Sussex, Orpington, and any of the Rocks. The Black Australorps have a reputation of laying well in the winter. Black may not sound colorful, but they have a sheen to their feathers that I think qualifies them. The Brahmas are a possibility, but the drawback to them is that they are big. If you free range them where they forage for most of their food, that is not a big deal, but if you are feeding them, those big bodies take more expensive food.

With a dozen of most of these breeds, you will probably get 9 to 11 eggs a day during the summer. You can expect the lay rate to drop off significantly in the winter, and probably dropping to zero when they molt. Most will not molt their first winter but will keep laying, although the rate can drop.

I don't know what your options are in Canada, but I'd think about that children's song Red and Yellow, Black and White. Maybe some Speckled Sussex, Gold Laced Wyandottes, or Partridge Rocks for the red; Buff Orpingtons, Buff Wyandottes, or Buff Rocks for the yellow; Australorps or Silver Laced Wyandottes for the black, and Delaware, White or Columbian Wyandottes, or White or Columbian Rocks for the white. With a few EE's thrown in for variety, of course. Talk about colorful!

8. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Check out the Delaware breed when you get to that point. They are heat and cold hardy, good layers(extra large), good meat, and just all around strong healthy birds.

9. RR or BR both very good egglayers and cold hardy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by