in all barred chickens is the female always darker?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by txmel, Nov 5, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i have 2 chicks that are about 2 to 3 weeks old and they are a marans cross both are black with barring starting to show. so i want to know are the female birds always darker? one might not be a cross but odds are it is. [​IMG]
    thanks all

2. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    I have two barred rock hens. One is dark and the other is light. They both lay eggs so they are definately both girls.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Not sure, I know it is usually the case with the barred rocks, but not always. I hope someone that knows will come along and answer this one for you.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Do you happen to know the which of the parent birds is the barred bird?

Barred females can only pass on one copy of the barring gene to their male offspring. A barred bird crossed with a barred bird will give you all barred babies with the females having one copy of the barred gene and the males having 2 copies if the male used was homozygous (2 copies of the barred gene). The males from a barred barred cross will be lighter in appearance than the females. Female barred birds will have black feathers with white barring and male birds that have 2 copies of the barring gene will have white feathers with black barring. Male birds produced from a female barred bird and a solid bird will have only one copy of the barring gene will be feathered like that of a female, black feather with white barring. If a barred rooster that has 2 copies of the barring gene is crossed over a solid hen both female and male offspring will have one copy of the barring gene. Hope this helps and if I messed up the explanation I hope someone will come along and correct it and set me straight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:Do you happen to know the which of the parent birds is the barred bird?

no i got theses eggs from a woman about 120 miles from me and she had a really big cuckoo marans roo around and a few other wheaten marans roo i didnt see any other marans type roos around. she also had some ee roos. i went for some wheaten marans eggs ( they were in a breeding pen) and she gave me a few extra barnyard mixes as well. one is an ee x marans cross because it came out of greenish egg but the other was from a dark brown egg.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Barring is a sex-linked gene that causes the black pigment to be interrupted as the feather is grown. A bird with two copies of the barring gene will display "more" interruption (white) than a bird with one copy of the gene. A female can ONLY carry one copy; however, a male can carry either one or two copies. Based up plumage colouring, you cannot tell the difference between a male with one copy and a female (also with one copy). A male with two copies will always be lighter than either of these.

7. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:ok that makes sense and since i have no idea on these chicks whos who i guess i will just wait and see [​IMG] thank you

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep, espcially if they are crossed with a non barred breed then the males are gonna have only one copy like the females and they will be dark barred. And in some crosses when a silver based breed is used, silver will leak through in the barred females and make them appear to be light barred, but its always a burred, cuckoo look, not really the look of a homo ( 2 copy) barred roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by