1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In an ice storm without food for chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coop-er, Feb 17, 2014.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    What can chicks eat if you run short on food? Are they able to eat pellets if I crush it? What about cracked corn? What is best in an emergency?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Scrambled eggs. No to pellets as they contain too much calcium and cracked corn has no nutritional value.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My granny used to feed all her chicks corn meal...and it has nutritional value. Most of the feeds we give our chickens are largely corn based.

4. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Well I definitely have eggs! Would the corn and pellets be ok if it's just for a day or so?

5. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I would feed egg. At least you won't go too wrong with the nutritional value.

How old are these little fuzzballs? [​IMG]

Also, if its just for a day or two... it probably won't matter. Or you could give them egg AND corn mixed. Don't feed layers pellets; calcium's too high & it isn't worth the risk. Safer & cheaper to feed the other foodstuff's mentioned.

Enjoy your babies!

1 person likes this.
  6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you had nothing else but pellets or corn,i would break up pellets and add warm water so it resembles oatmeal,this is easier for them to eat. Just remember if they are eating anything other than chick feed,they need grit. Corn is a little harder to digest,

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Dad used to raise chicks from hatch to three weeks on nothing but cornmeal. It has great nutritional value. Great civilizations were developed with corn as the staple food.

Dad never gave them grit either. Cornmeal is already ground up. Cracked corn is something different. They'd need grit for that.

What can you give them? Cooked eggs and cornmeal are great choices. Neither one needs grit. You can pretty much give them anything you eat, just give them grit. Chick feed is a balanced diet so that is the best choice when you can, but in an emergency you have all kinds of options.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Corn meal only as a supplement to forage. I have used such and if it is only nutritional source the chicks will not thrive.

9. Cooper, you can feed cornmeal. It'll work. Ice storms don't last forever. Little baby chicks don't eat that much. Put em back on starter when the storm is over. They'll be just fine. Even dried bread crumbs can and have worked in a pinch. A day or two on layer pellets crushed has likely been used 1000's of times.;)

Wish ya the best!

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I use layer rations for chicks as a matter of course, though I know that many are scared of that kind of thing. I've never seen any ill results from it and I keep my birds to a ripe old age, still producing, still healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by