1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In anticipation of STUCK CHICKS... what do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DawnSuiter, Aug 31, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Well.. it seems we've established that my last turkey hatch was one of those stuck to the shell hatches and I lost my only turkey of that hatch. The NEXt and LAST batch is due on FRIDAY>>> and I don't expect they are going to be in any different condition since they were incubated together. (I have since upped the humidty to almost 60% on these that are due friday and will go higher when they go into hatch mode)

So.. I guess I"m expecting failure, is there anything i can do to increase my odds?

Please folks.... I have only 3 turkeys left, all are currently alive, but likely stuck... if there is something I can do I really want to do it, I'll intervene, try something crazy or whatever I need to do.

I know it's possible they'll hatch on their own and that there is nothing wrong, but I want to be prepared...

2. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Ok so this happened to me on the last 4 hatches and finally this last 2 I had AMAZING hatches. Here is what I did differently................

1. Changed what I had in there for a humidity gauge. I was using everything from a Accurite to a springfeild to you name it(with these I had all sticky and stuck chicks to eggs)
    Then I bought finally a humidity gauge for a terrarium!! NOT the digital kind. It is used to staying in a small area and reading humidity right.

2. I stopped opening the incubator until the hatch was done completly. Every time I took a chick out , the ones that pipped or zipped at the time got outside air and then they got seran wrapped in the egg!!! So seriously wait until the end even though they are moving around the incubator like crazy. Babies can stay in a incubator up to 24hrs. Which is how long a hatch should take.

Anyway just my knowledge! I hope you have a amazing hatch! [​IMG]

3. DawnSuiter

Thanks.... I believe I can attribute this problem to the overall humidity fluxuations. I did not understand that the humidty needed to be so constant, I thought fluxuations within the normal range would be fine. I can only guess that is where I was wrong. The last & current hatch also used a duck turner, but it says it suitable for ALL eggs... so I can't believe THAT is the problem.

4. Hi!
    Incubating eggs artificially is a precise endeavor .

"I stopped opening the incubator until the hatch was done completly. Every time I took a chick out , the ones that pipped or zipped at the time got outside air and then they got seran wrapped in the egg!!!"

That sounds familiar.

I don't think a hatcher *gets it* until they experience it a few times and you learn by experience what 'to do as well as what not to do'.
    Hatching eggs IS a always a learning experience (and still is to me).

5. DawnSuiter

Oh my... seriously? Must be because I'm new but I didn't OPEN the incubator till after hatch day and turkey was dead for a while already. I didn't saran wrap him in, I didn't intervene, I didn't do anything to turkey, but everyone said it sounded like turkey was stuck. obviously to me, this happened BEFORE hatching time

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Stuck chicks prior to hatching may be from lack of turning, but if you are using a turner, that shouldn't be the problem. It can also be caused from stickiness inside the egg which is usually from too high humidity. Try keeping your day 1-18 humidity around 35% and see if that doesn't help.

7. DawnSuiter

Sticking to the shell is from TOO MUCH humidity?

oh man... getting more confused... i thought it was the opposite.. maybe I shoudln't have upped the humidyt... if that's the case, wouldn't my fluxuations have been ok? I would let the water run dry till it hit about 38-45% then fill it up again, reaching 49-55%... is that OK or not?

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Higher humidity the last two days, 65% for my turkey eggs. Raise mine by adding another water pan,rather than closing the vents. I think they need more air not less.

Saran wrap WOW. how whould the chick get any air. would you saran wrap a day old chick same thing. They need to be able to breath. In the shell or out.

Sticky chicks from higher humidity, not chicks sticking to the shell. Two reason for them sticking to the shell. Improper turning, or membrane drying out after pipping due to low humidity the last days.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Not necessarily the "sticking to the shell" part....if there is a sticky substance (albumen) covering the chick that causes them to be sticky...like extra hold hair gel....that is from high humidity.

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Not necessarily the "sticking to the shell" part....if there is a sticky substance (albumen) covering the chick that causes them to be sticky...like extra hold hair gel....that is from high humidity.

Yep high humidity will cause the sticky chick. Like the way you explain with the hair gel. They look and feel like someone pour glue on them. But for me, have never seen it to high the last 2 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by