In Arkansas Adopting African Greys - Timneh Or Congo -

paramedic07

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Bergman, AR
83651_casey.jpg
83651_timneh.jpg

Adopting African Greys - Timneh Or Congo - In Arkansas. Post Says It All. Im A Paramedic With Two Other Parrots. Looking To Adopt A Grey Or Two With No Intentions Of Breeding.

Last edited:
Some people like the looks or size of the Congos a little more. Some people like the temperament of the Timnehs a little more. They're both great birds. If you don't have a preference, I'd go with the best breeder and the individual bird that seems to be the one.

For an African grey in particular, I'd want one that was raised by the best breeder possible. They're more sensitive and don't have as bold a personality as some other species. I think how the breeder handles them and acclimates them makes a huge difference. It's so much easier if they're used to different people, activities and foods. If they've basically just been fed and put back, you'll have a lot more to do and undo with a bird.

The other thing that happens is that sometimes you and a bird will just click. That's pretty special and I'd pay attention to that, too.

Be prepared for more dust. Unless you have cockatoos. Then you already know about dust.
big_smile.png

What type of birds do you have now?

Have you tried Central Arkanasas Avian Rescue? James Ireland, DVM, [email protected]

Best of luck to you. Try some parrot-specific forums, too, to see if you get any results. Sometimes when looking for a specific species to rescue, it takes some long-distance driving.
sad.png

i have my two green cheek conures right now. i had a bare eyed cockatoo, Zoe, that passed away recently. she was a rescue from a neglectful breeder that was thankfully forced to close her doors. had her for many years till she lost her fight against the damage done to her from that "wonderful" person. she loved me to death, hated women.

ill drop that vet a line. maybe ill get an answer. ive spent years studying and waiting for the day to get either a TAG or CAG. i'm leaning towards a TAG though. i learned the differences early on. many people don't bother to do that, i'd say.

Last edited:
id really like to adopt but the closest ones are an easy 500 miles or so away in any direction. and the loops they make you jump thru are ridiculous.

I'm sorry you lost Zoe. Cockatoos can develop such deep relationships with people. You must have been such a blessing for her, after the life she had. How lucky she was able to live the last part of her life with someone that would care for her and accept all the love she had to give.

I've had a CAG for 20 years. He's really something. I know how close you can bond with a parrot.

Quote:
I understand. I live in the 'boonies' and the nearest rescue is several hundred miles too... so I can't get 'home inspections' or anything and they won't adopt to me.

As much as it's a pain, try crawling Craiglist and especially Hoobly regularly to see if an individual is looking to rehome their parrot near you. Sometimes it's the only way-- but use caution as there are a lot of scams and people trying to unload parrots and still make money on them.
sad.png
Someone that really wants to find a good home for their bird will let you meet the bird before money exchanges hands.

timmies are smaller and typically quieter but tend to have a much more accepting easy going temperment
congos are larger, better talkers but can be more high strung.

all greys are moody and tend to be 1 person birds but the congos tend to be more so.

they are amazing parrots though, my grandfather has a congo named barney, hes got to be in his 20's now and hes a character...but hes definatly a typical congo, hates my grandmother, doesnt like women in general loves my grandfather and os good with my cousin whos also male, moody and sometimes real mean, but we chock it up to inteligence...he gets frustrated because the measly humans dont understand his commands lol

Back
Top Bottom