In at the deep end

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggonomist, Oct 27, 2007.

1. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    Hi all.
    I'm very new to the chicken game and I'm about to start on the building of the coop. I have built many things but never a chicken coop. I am shamelessly ripping off nugget's beautiful design but with some dimension changes (If I can repay with some Buff orpington eggs come hatching time let me know). The lucky tennents are going to be 10 Buff Orpingtons and 10 Silver Laced Wyandotte's (5 cornish X hens will make up the order and keep us fed) then when we decide what we are keeping (probably the orpingtons) we will keep a rooster and the hens and maybe some of the others for some mutant cross's. I'm starting with a 8 x 10 base and the idea of mirroring the building at the other end of the run if my population grows. The run will be 20 x 10 and fully enclosed. At present I'm still in the gathering materials stage but hope to start work on the base before the white stuff falls.
    Adie

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Sounds like a good plan but you might make your base larger if you are going to start with 25 birds. Each bird needs about 4 square feet.

I got my first Orpingtons this year and love their personalities.

Be sure to post progress pictures.

3. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    LARGER, I was only allowed a 4x6 shed, which I begged to be 6x8 after 'miscalulating the layout it magically became 6 x 10 and then because I said if we didn't end up keeping chickens a 8x10 would make a much better shed she reluctanly agree'd to go larger. I think I'll be pushing the boundarys if I try and sneek a few more feet in. I have the option of building another coop the other end of the run, but I only expect to end up with 12-16 birds when all is said and done, and at a pinch 20 during the warmer months.
    I have scorred another truck load of plywood so I think I have a floor and 3 sides now. It's slowly coming together. I amy even be at a point to take pictures soon if I can beat the snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by