In-Between Coop for Older Chicks - Budget Ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cimmaron, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Cimmaron

Cimmaron Chirping

Jul 19, 2018
    Montana
    I hatch small numbers of chicks throughout the spring and summer. Typically I sell the pullets at 2-3 months, but extra roosters stick around until they are big enough for butchering.

The transition pens I used last year worked fine until the raccoons showed up, so I need to figure out something different - I have three ages of chicks living in my tool shed right now!

Does anyone have ideas that are super budget friendly and predator proof? We have a plethora of racoons, foxes and raptors. And our summer nights sometimes get down in the 40's, so they need some type of shelter. Last year I had half their pen covered with a tarp, but they got bored and pulled the whole thing apart!

2. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    What do you think about using electric fence wire? I have had good results with it to protect everything from flowerbeds from cat poop, to chickens from stray dogs.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  3. Cimmaron

Cimmaron Chirping

Jul 19, 2018
    Montana
    I've thought about using hot wire, but the electricity to my chicken area isn't very reliable, so I couldn't depend on it. I tried a solar charger for my larger animals, but it was expensive and only lasted maybe two years. I guess I just don't do very well with electric fences :/

Parront likes this.
  4. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    You might use a 12 volt car battery, that is pretty easy to swap out or charge on a low cost basis. The coons are as smart as a dog, one good zap and learning occurs!

Henriettamom919 and aart like this.
  5. JDN

JDN Songster

Feb 28, 2018
    Raleigh NC
    How big are you thinking?

aart likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Predator proofing takes good mesh which isn't cheap unless you can find it used,
    ( or get someone else to pay for it :lol: )

Good question^^^
    ...also.....
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-6-13_9-54-56.png

7. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    What's your ideal budget? And how many birds are you looking to grow out? Do you have a lumber company nearby? We built our big girl coop (which will be grow out coop next year when our walk in is done) using a lot of found/foraged/recycled pieces that were either free (local cabinet company has a free pile) or discounted from local lumber mill companies.

If it's just a few birds at a time a prefab coop reinforced for predators works well while they're still little.

8. Cimmaron

Cimmaron Chirping

Jul 19, 2018
    Montana
    I'm in MT. I'm usually growing out 10-20 birds at a time. My ideal budget is $0, lol:) But I'm expecting I'll need to spend some money to get set up better. My main coop was set up pretty much for free as someone gave me a big old toolshed I converted to a coop and I was able to scavenge scraps of chicken wire, etc. The fence isn't very secure, but I lock the chickens inside the shed every night to protect from predators.

9. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    Used pallets are often free, good source of sturdy wood, if a bit short.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  10. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Maybe just a four sided shed style coop with reclaimed pallets as flooring? plywood for sides? That would end up being pretty cheap as you can usually get pallets for free somewhere!

Parront and Cimmaron like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: