In Between Coops; Where to House?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by antiqsolo, Dec 7, 2016.

1. antiqsolo

antiqsolo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2016
    I have a situation that I haven't found any answers to; not definitive ones anyhow. So I figured I should ask you lovely people.

I know how much space is advised for hens living in a coop; however, what I need to know is this: can I keep nine hens in a 9 square foot tractor for one day while building a new coop?

Situation: we moved into a farmhouse, bought nine laying hens from the landlady. Been here a month and she's been on our nerves every day. We are moving out in a month.. to a new house that doesn't have a coop.

There's a 10x12 shed that we will convert into their coop, and we're building a run around it. But we are not allowed to get there sooner to build it, so we have opted to build panels out of hardware cloth and lumber, transport them on the day of the move, and put the pieces up. It shouldn't take us more than 12 hours (two of us building, two moving things).

Is it okay to keep the girls in a 9 square foot tractor on pasture, with their water bucket, for the day? Building a bigger tractor is not an option, and I'd prefer not to put them in the shed while we're working around it and having to open doors to check for space requirements.. the last resort option I could think of is to keep them in the spare room or garage of the new house but with 4 cats and 3 dogs clamoring to see what the new smells are I'm afraid it wold stress the birds out. These are rescue birds (yes we bought them.. figured out afterwards that they were covered in poop, infested with mites, and sharing a 5x8 stall with two ducks for who knows how long; every time the landlady comes by they hide behind me, and will shake for hours).. I really want to choose the best option to stress them out the least. Any input would be appreciated, and I'm sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong forum.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    1 day. Be cramped but ok..

3. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    from what you say they would still have it better than they did

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey there antiqsolo

First up, kudos to you for taking care of the girls, rescuing them and giving them a fresh start on a wonderful life.

I agree that they should be fine for the day; definitely cramped but they should be OK. No worse than spending the day in a crate at a show etc.

I recommend putting them close by where you are working so that they can watch .. we all know how much chickens like to supervise any yard work [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Edited: Double post of same comments [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    There really is not a wrong forum you are saving the birds from an awful fate from you said

7. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    There really is not a wrong forum you are saving the birds from an awful fate from you said

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They'll be fine. They could spend that much time in crates or kennels, or even cardboard boxes. Be sure they have water, and something like fruit to peck at is a good distraction. If they seem to be getting wound up, try covering the pen to make it dark. Dark birds are usually calm sleepy birds.

9. antiqsolo

antiqsolo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2016
    Thank you all for replying! Makes me feel a lot better about the situation, and moving them. We've had these girls almost six weeks, and they just started laying for us three weeks ago [​IMG]
    They're my first chickens so I think I'm obsessively nitpicking over every little thing that might make them uncomfortable.. went out and bought them a heated waterer last night ($60.. yowch!) and they are loving it.

Here's some pictures of the girls, they've gotten so much more docile the past few weeks. And they're so curious about the camera!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by