In Canada

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ooptec, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ooptec

ooptec Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Hafford, SK, Canada
    Hey,

Looking for Blue Laced Red and/or Black Wyandotte chicks r hatching eggs

cheers

2. fjorddreamer

fjorddreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Wish I could help you. I'm also in Canada and wondering if there is anyone out there who knows where I can find bantam orpingtons in Canada!!!! I've been looking everywhere! Someone said they used to see them in BC, but I've had no luck. Anyone????

3. schroader

schroader Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2008
    Beaver Dam Ky
    I have some banty buffs that are trying to lay but Im in Ky, I would be willing to try to ship when we get eggs.

4. fjorddreamer

fjorddreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    That would be great. I really want bantam buff orpingtons, but I thought it was impossible to ship to Canada? Or, maybe not impossible, but really difficult, with a lot of paperwork, or something. Maybe you could check it out! Thanks for offering. Sure would be great, if we could get it to work out.

5. ooptec

ooptec Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Hafford, SK, Canada
    US Info

The following steps outline my own personal experience (David Stuart, Glencoe, ON –
    “Show Secretary”) in a time frame from March 2005 to as recently as March 7, 2006,
    executing five imports into Canada of poultry originating from four different states:
    1/ Locate a "USDA poultry accredited" veterinarian licensed in the state where the
    poultry resides. Of course this private practice vet will charge you a fee for the inspection
    and paperwork
    2/ The vet has to visit your farm and inspect the premises and the actual poultry intended
    for export to Canada. The inspection must take place within 30 days of import.
    Before the vet leaves your site they will need the legband numbers and legband colors
    you intend to place on the export birds. There are also certain tests your farm has to pass,
    if you have not already done so as a matter of your flock health routine, and these are
    noted in your “border crossing letter” later in these instructions. The vet that does your
    inspection will no doubt be able to advise you what tests are required.
    3/ The inspecting vet then has to send paperwork - USDA Form #VS 17-6 - to the state
    USDA office for a counter signature. At some point you will receive your certificate from
    the inspecting vet. The form lists the bird breeds by count and the legbands they should
    be wearing at import.
    4/ Print a copy or copy and paste the following letter and have it available with your
    USDA Form #VS 17-6 at the point of import. NOTE: YOUR POULTRY INTENDED
    FOR IMPORT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE INSPECTED BY A CANADIAN
    GOVERNMENT VETERINARIAN AND THEREFORE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO
    MAKE ANY APPOINTMENT FOR INSPECTION AT THE BORDER
    The chickens will need to be accompanied by a federal export certificate that is called
    "Certificate for Poultry or Hatching Eggs for Export" (USDA form #VS 17-6). I
    have attached the import requirements from our automated import reference system
    below:
    Approved (must be accompanied by the following
    documents/registrations):
    Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Poultry
    DOCUMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS:
    USDA Official Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Poultry is USDA form #VS 17-6.
    USDA Official Zoosanitary Export Certificate must be issued by a USDA
    veterinarian, or issued by a veterinarian and endorsed by a USDA
    veterinarian

Canadian Info

Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirements

CBSA Inspection (must be accompanied by the following documents\
    egistrations):
    Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Poultry

Importer / Broker Instructions

DOCUMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS

USDA Official Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Poultry is form VS 17-6.

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS

*** Please note that border lookouts and targets take precedence over import requirements indicated in AIRS.

- Any import inspection services provided by CFIA staff are subject to a CFIA user fee.
    - May be subject to requirements of Other Government Departments (federal, provincial or territorial).
    - Contact an Import Service Centre for further information.

WOOD PACKAGING MATERIAL (for all origins except Continental United States):
    Brokers/ Importers should attest to one of the following with respect to the packaging material being used to ship the product:
    - "Wood packaging contained with shipment displays the ISPM No. 15 compliant stamp."
    OR
    - " Wood packaging material is accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate, ie. approved treatment per ISPM No. 15. "
    OR
    - "Wood packaging material is made out of manufactured wood which is exempted from ISPM No. 15."
    OR (when it applies)
    - "No wood packaging contained with shipment."

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CBSA

Require: Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Poultry
    Must be signed or endorsed by a USDA Veterinarian
    Do the numbers of eggs on the commercial invoice match the export certificate?
    Are the eggs reasonably clean - ie not covered in bird faeces? if the eggs are dirty, please refer to CFIA for veterinary inspection.
    Are the containers new or have they been cleaned and disinfected?
    Is the flock of origin clearly visible on each container of eggs?
    The flock of origin must have tested negative for fowl typhoid and pullorum disease in the past 12 months and this must be stated on the certificate.
    Has the flock of origin been declared free of communicable disease and not exposed been to fowl typhoid, pullorum disease, fowl plague, Newcastle Disease (avian pneumoencephalitis) and ornithosis? (Should be stated on certificate)
    Stamp and date certificate, return the original to the importer and retain a copy.

RELEASE:

If the document is completed as described then the product may be released by CBSA.

From eMail to them

Good morning Peter,

I hope your day is well. I have been asked to respond to your inquiry:

I was requiring in simple english how to go about importing chicken
    hatching eggs from the US and what necessary forms and fees there are

You require an USDA Official Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Poultry, form VS 17-6, issued by a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) veterinarian, or issued by a veterinarian and endorsed by a USDA veterinarian. The hatching eggs are inspected at the border by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Please confirm the fees charged with the respective agencies and/or exporting hatcheries. The information needed on the VS 17-6 can be found in the Import Reference Document (IRD) found on our external website, Sections 3 (1) and 12 (1)-(3):

3. GENERAL IMPORT REQUIREMENTS - US ANIMALS - OTHER THAN RUMINANTS

(1) An equine, swine, poultry, hatching egg, bear or non-domestic feline may be imported into Canada from the United States if the animal is accompanied by a certificate of an official veterinarian of the United States or a certificate of a veterinarian endorsed by an official veterinarian of the United States that clearly identifies the animal and states that:
    (a) the animal was inspected by a veterinarian within 30 days preceding the date of importation;
    (b) the animal was found by a veterinarian to be free from any communicable disease;
    (c) the animal was, to the best of the knowledge and belief of a veterinarian, not exposed to any communicable disease within 60 days preceding the date of the inspection;
    (d) the applicable conditions set out in the Regulations and in this Document respecting the importation of that species of animal have been satisfied; and
    (e) the animal meets the conditions shown on the certificate.

12. HATCHING EGGS

(1) Hatching eggs may be imported into Canada from the United States if, in addition to the certification required under subsection 3(1), the certificate required under subsection 3(1) states that to the best of the knowledge and belief of a veterinarian, the flock from which the eggs originated is free from communicable disease and has not been exposed to avian pneumoencephalitis (Newcastle Disease), fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum), fowl plague (Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza), pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) or ornithosis (Chlamydiosis, Psittacosis).

(2) Hatching eggs may be imported into Canada from the United States if:
    (a) the hatching eggs are in new, clean containers, or in used containers that have been cleaned and disinfected for the purpose of preventing the introduction of diseases;
    (b) the shells of the hatching eggs are free from egg yolk, manure, soil or other foreign matter; and
    (c) the identification of the flock of origin of the hatching eggs is legible and clearly visible on the exterior of each container of hatching eggs.

(3) Hatching eggs of a chicken, turkey or game bird may be imported into Canada from the United States if the certificate required under subsection 3(1) states that:
    (a) the flock of origin from which the eggs originated is free of pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) and fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum) under the United States Department of Agriculture National Poultry Improvement Plan; or
    (b) serological tests have been conducted on all poultry in the flock of origin from which the eggs originated within 12 months preceding importation and such tests proved negative for pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) and fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum); and
    (c) the eggs originated from poultry resident in the flock of origin which existed at the time of the tests of the flock referred to in paragraph (b) or from poultry that were natural increases of that flock or additions which originated from a flock serologically negative to a test for pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) and fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum) within 12 months prior to entry to the flock of origin.

LINK: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/pol/ie-2002-3e.shtml#3

I
    trust this answers your question. Have a wonderful week.

It doesn't look that hard and I'm sure we have personal experience here on the forum

cheers

6. Poor realtor

Poor realtor Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Neepawa, Manitoba
    Quote:Performance Poultry has them.
    Telephone
    (613) 968-2508 FAX
    (613) 968-2275
    Postal address Performance Poultry
    RR#1 Carrying Place,
    Ontario, Canada
    K0K 1L0

7. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    I ordered from Performance Poultry [​IMG] I live 10 minutes away [​IMG] I am just wondering ooptec did yo uever order from there ??? I get mine May 1st [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by