In case you want a four legged chicken...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Supermommy486, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
  2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

The link goes to a post that's removed.

3. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Uh oh. I pull it up fine, but maybe it's broken somewhere since posting it? Oh well. Thanks for the heads up!

4. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    link works fine for me... freaky...

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

There was a three legged chicken hatched to a member here one year. I forgot the details though. Defects can happen in individuals resulting in extra limbs, often these embryos don't survive to adult hood, but a few do.

6. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Oh good!
    Yea it definitely caught my eye. Figured it was maybe a double yolker and the one got absorbed into the other. Interesting for sure! I wonder how old it is.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

If you can still pull it up ~ can you copy & quote it for the rest of us to see?

8. silkiechicken

It wouldn't be a double yolker to cause a defect like that. Embryos can't asorb each other. Often extra limbs and digits are due to developmental defects involving the hox code, which is a set of highly conserved patterning genes, first identified in flies.

The post:

Believe it or not I have a 4 legged chicken for sale. I have no clue what it's worth. I will leave this post up till Saturday and the highest bidder will get it. This is no hoax. Good luck

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

[​IMG]

ETA: Old thread on three legged chicken: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/50555/tripod-update-pic-pg-21-may-try-intros-today/0_100

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  9. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Ahh Haha I assumed it's kinda like my Gma who has a small pair of ribs attached to hers from absorbing her twin. But very neat info! Still wouldn't buy it...might scare the kids.

10. silkiechicken

If I'm thinking right, your Gma would have been a result of a monozygotic twin; they have identical DNA and did start as one or fused at a a blastocyst or earlier stage. A double yolker would be a fraternal or dizygotic twin which do not share identical DNA. Identical/conjoined twins could occur in an egg, but it'd be a single yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by