In case you were wondering...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bobbi-j, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If coyoytes live in the city, they do. My son goes to college in St. Paul, MN and last night he and some friends watched a coyote run across a busy 4 lane highway right by the school.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So true.

We frequently hear reports here that coyotes, bears, and mtn. lions have been spotted in the urban areas.

Imp

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Every now and again, the local news station will run some new footage of another coyote trotting calmly around a residential area in broad daylight.

We've got at least 2 mountain lions that are living right in the middle of town. Lots of people have taken photos of them, so they are no urban myth.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  5. inohio

inohio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Actually, some cities do nothing to discourage coyotes because they control rat and feral cat populations. They don't usually advertise that fact (cause little fido and fluffy can also become coyote kibble). I read an article somewhere and I believe it said NYC and (I think) Chicago are among the cities that actively ignore the coyote populations and secretly wish them luck. If they get calls, they respond and if the coyote isn't acting human-agressive, they leave them alone.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Sounds like an urban myth to me. More than likely, given city finances and manpower, coyotes are like rats and feral cats in that all reproduce faster than they can be controlled so are ignored and left to the locals to take care of.

7. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I live in the country but we're 15 minutes from town and a deer ran through the courthouse a couple years ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by