In Celebration of my 10th Coop built

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I've built 10 coops now from my own design, and sold all of them on Craigslist but this one. Probabaly because I haven't listed it yet. I'll do that after I write this post. [​IMG]

This coop is my 10th, and since it wasn't presold like most of my others I got to go all out and decorate it myself. [​IMG] I generally paint them to match peoples houses, but not this time. I've been dying to do a red barn coop and here it is. I like it so much I'm going to paint all of my coops (you know the ones that have never been painted [​IMG] ) to look like this one.

I just wanted to share.

My girls came to check it out too.
    [​IMG]

I even fancied up the nesting box.
    [​IMG]

This is the back opened up.
    [​IMG]

Here's the back closed.
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty pleased with it and had to share. Now I've got to try to sell it. DH won't let me have anymore coops. [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very nice coop, I love how it opens up

3. spookykim

spookykim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio
    that is such a nice coop I would love to have one like that for my 4

4. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    I love your little coop!! How many chickens could it house?

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oh gosh, I should have included all the details huh? [​IMG]

Ok here's the details that I list with it on Craigslist.

This coop is 4'X 4'. Perfect for free ranging chickens or add a run. Will hold at least 4 heavy breed chickens, 5 Light breed, or 8 bantam Chickens. Made to look good in your yard and be functional, with chickens in mind.

- all double wall construction for good insulation. (Not made of that thin 1/4" single walls of most commercial coops)
    - 30 year shingles.
    - Insulated roof.
    - External nesting box so you can easily collect eggs without disturbing your chickens.
    - Sliding window shutters over wired windows so you can decide how much ventilation you want in the coop while still keeping your chickens safe.
    - Hinged door
    - Dropping pit to keep chickens from scratching in their poo. [​IMG] and keeps your coop much cleaner
    - Roost (removable for easy cleaning)
    - Small roost for nesting box.
    - Back opens down for easy cleaning
    - Roof lifts up for easy access.
    - Has ramp
    - Solid construction for predator deterrent.
    - Custom original design

This chicken coop is built to all the correct dimensions and attributes required for safe comfortable chickens. Hand made by a chicken lover, so even the chickens know it's built correctly. Be careful of coops that claim you can put lots of chickens in them. For happy chickens, heavy breeds require 4 sq. ft per chicken and standard breeds 3 sq ft, bantams require 2 sq feet. To put more chickens in a small space leads to feather picking and other undesireable habits.

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    That is absolutely adorable!

I wish you lived closer!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Deniece, my friend, c'mon down and build me one! [​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    WOW I wish you were closer and I were richer and had less chickens [​IMG] actually my coop was probably much more expensive then what your selling that for but less beautiful and hand made ! good luck with your sales.

Henry

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Nice looking coop! I've been trying to figure out how I want to position the roost(s) in my coop and I think you just gave me the solution! Thanks for posting your pics.

10. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Great design. You put some thought into the chicken's comfort.....and the outside looks wonderful as well! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by