In coop a lot

grunt

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
We have four Black Australorps that are 11 weeks old and we’re introduced to coop/run 7 weeks ago. They are in the coop 75 % of the time. Is this normal?
Note: food & water kept in run along with toys, perch and dust bath area.
Thanks
Rick

The coop is definitely where they feel secure, sometimes they need a little nudge. I've been integrating my now 12 weeker's for a few weeks now and I still have to nudge them to get out and free range with the rest of my flock. They come back for a nap inside several times a day so I try to remember they are still young compared to the big's who never do that (they just come back to lay eggs and get a drink.) Pic's of your set up would be helpful.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined.

We all have different conditions. Different climate, coops, runs, flock make-up, management techniques, goals, just everything is different. Mine spend practically all their waking hours outside. That's where they want to be. Yours spend the majority of time indoors, that's where they want to be. With only 4 chicks it implies your room may be kind of small.

If you provide photos and details of your set-up we might be able to come up with ways to entice them outside more, but with your current set-up and conditions they are where they want to be. I personally don't have a problem with that. As they get older this may change.

Back
Top Bottom