In-coop bath tub.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mac, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    I have a lot of floor space in my coop, or I should say my "hen's" coop. Anyway, its filled with about 8" of shavings. Their run is 2/3 sand, 1/3 soil and they have a ton of fun scratching around taking dirt/sand baths. Before I got them they only had rocks and no place to scratch around in. So, today I set up a a shallow tub in the coop and put in some of the sand/dirt mixture with some DE. That way if it rains or the ground freezes in the run they can still roll around in the tub. The tub isn't too shallow and I do expect some of the contents will fly out, but I can't see any problem with that. Does anyone else have an in-coop tub? Any problems with it?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My chickens have a sandbox in the coop...for the same reason....rain...snow...too hot...too cold. They love it. Yes, they do throw the sand out in the floor...but, thier floor is gravel...so doesnt bother me they throw it out some. I just add more sand! Mine LOVE it...and I can add DE easier....wont wash away.

3. Mac

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Thanks justusnak, just wanted to know. This way I'll know for sure they are dusting in the DE. I do sprinkle it outside, but they scratch it around so much I never am sure they are actually getting any on them.

However, as I suspected, they did NOT use the tub yesterday or today. They are suspicious of it. If its anything like the new nesting boxes, they will eyeball it for a day or so until they find out it won't bite them. No chicken footprints yet....I did put a tiny cherry tomato in the center of the tub when I left today, so I'm sure one brave soul will venture in soon.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yeah, they don't like new things in their surroudings and shy off from them. They are creatures of habit and changes in routine disturb them. Probably if you give them time, it'll work out.

AS for the tossing out of the dirt. Try arranging some inward turned lips around the tub, much as you see on feeders. That should help keep the dusty stuff in, I would think.

5. Mac

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Thanks for the idea Elderoo, I can do that. I was wondering if it was too high anyway. This way I take care of both problems.

Cheers,
    Mac

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    A sand box in the coop??? In case of bad weather???? Our chickens seem to have it better than us!

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Aint it the truth!

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, I understand the sandbox thing, cause I am digging little holes in my run and putting scratch in there for my debeaked pullet so she will think she can peck at the ground and get something. I feel sad watching her peck and peck, and get nothing .

9. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Oh dear, now I need to convince DH that we need a bathtub in the coop! [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    DH DE?

Okay, I give: What's DE? Sounds like maybe some sort of mineral that's good for them? Is that stuff...what's it called...diamataceous earth? Probably spelled wrong. I have horses, and someone once told me that adding a tsp. of that to their feed each day helps eliminate worms from their system, but I paste worm my horses regularly so don't use the DE. If that's what it is, why is it good for chickens, where do you get it? Do they eat it?

Also...I'm guessing DH is husband...but what does the D stand for? I feel so silly asking these questions, but I just can't figure it out, and I've seen it 100 times since I've joined!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by