In coop brooder?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by traildad, Sep 12, 2011.

1. traildad

traildad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Deleted

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I have an in coop brooder. I do however keep the babies in my basement for a week or so just so I can keep an eye on them. I live on a farm and my coop is 14x20 separated into pens. I have a large 7x14 area for the layers, BR's and the other side is divided into 4 pens and a wide aisle. In one of the pens I have a brooder, 18 inches wide and 5 ft long. It's divided into 2 separate areas. I also have the option of adding 2 additional brooders to the bottom of it later as it is about 4 ft high. I like the idea that is within the coop, within a pen and then self contained. Just feels safe for the babies. Hope this helps. BTW, the pen that its in is 4x6.5

3. traildad

Jan 11, 2011
    Deleted

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I was forced into building a temporary brooder in our coop due to Grandson hatching some egg in Atlanta and suprising us with some chicks before we were really ready. So.....what I did was just screw together 3 pieces of scrap osb I had next to the coop wall, built a simple 2" x2" frame for roof, covered it with hardware cloth and hinged it in place. when the chicks were old enough to co mingle, I just disassembled it. I kept the roof part to use in future brooder. The pics below are of the temp. brooder in the coop and the new one I built a few days ago, reusing the roof I had built previously. Good luck.
    Erik
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, that does sound reasonable. I have a brooder inside the coop and I love it. It's so convenient.

6. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    We put our brooder in the "teenagers" side of the split coop. So much easier to keep my eyes on them all. I kept them in the mudroom for the first 2 weeks them moved them out with the teenagers. The brooder is 2 feet off the ground and is about 4 feet long by 18" wide.

[​IMG]

7. traildad

Jan 11, 2011
    Deleted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by