In Coop During Daytime

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Capvin, May 13, 2011.

1. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    My six chicks are 7 weeks old and have been in their coop and run for several weeks with no problems. In the mornings when I open the pop door they are anxious to get out into the run and usually they have stayed outside all day until dark when they put themselves to bed. After they are inside I close the door for the night. Over the last few days after they have been out for about an hour they go back into the coop and stay there for a while and then come out about an hour later and will go back and forth. I would prepfer that they be out in the run during the day. Is it OK if I close the pop door during the day so they can not get back in until night time??

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you have food and water available you can. One thing I'd consider is shade. Are they going to be stuck in the hot sun and suffer? Are they in a wind that they find uncomfortable? If you have a storm, are they protected? I give mine the option to find their comfort zone, whether in the brooder or in the coop and run. That way, I don't have to worry about keeping things just right but let them take care of that for me.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Mine have been spending more time inside the last few weeks just to get out of the heat and get some shade. One of my runs is not as shaded as it needs to be (and will be as soon as I get some shade cloth up). I wouldn't lock them out of the coop during the day.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Why would you want to lock them out of their house? Mine wander in and out and all over the place. I'm more concerned with shutting the popdoor at night.
    Jack

5. Capvin

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    First, my run is covered and has plently of shade. If anything, here in central Florida it is too hot in the coop during the day and much more comfortable in the run. I keep both food and water in the run and in the coop. And lastly, why I would prefer them in the run during the day is strictly because it is much easier to clean the run then the coop. The more time they spend in the coop the more poop that needs to be cleaned up. Usually they have spent the entire day outside in the run. It is just the last couple of days that they have gone back into the coop and have spent time in there during the day.

6. mlyon

mlyon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    I would not lock them out of their coop during the day. I want my chickens to feel that their coop is a safe place to be day or night. I don't know what would happen if they are lock out during the day if they would go inside at night. I have water outside in their run only. In their coop I have food and water. I have too many wild birds to want to keep food outside in their run.

7. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Cap, I'm with you..the more time my girls spend in the yard, the less poop smelling and scraping for me! Of course, the more time they spend free ranging, the more opportunities my Westie has to roll in fresh poop..yuck! I do keep their door open, though, because mine lay at all times and they always go back in, so no eggs in my yard. They're such good girls!

8. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Quote:I guess the chickens don't think "It's too hot in the coop" otherwise, they would not go in there. Going in there for short periods of time makes so much more of a mess? If they do, Then lock em out, Why ask anybody.
    Jack

9. Capvin

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Jack: Thanks for your really great answer!! I must tell you it is appreciated. I ask this question not to be made out to be a jerk but because I have never had chickens before and I really do not know even the most basic things. Thanks for your response though. Next time you see me ask a question please feel free to give me your considered response. For the rest who really gave me helpful responses I am attaching a picture of my coop and run just to show that I have no worries from most predators while they are in the run. Don

[​IMG]

10. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Quote:Yeah, I'll be sure to do that.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by