In-coop treats

chickenJ1m

Chirping
Jul 15, 2016
Aylett, Va
I was pruning our blackberry bushes today and had a few new offshoots which I dug up to transplant somewhere else. I first thought of outside the coop so that maybe they could grow up the fence and provide some shade and treats but then I had a brainstorm! I planted them inside the coop and put some chicken-wire around them. I cut out a few holes so that the girls could reach inside and peck some leaves but I'm hoping that this summer the vines will have grown up and over the protected wire and the chickens will have some goodies. Unfortunately I did not have my phone on me but I will post a picture later on today. Any thoughts?

Here's the pic

Blackberries grow on canes, not vines.

They put out new canes each year.
First year canes only grow leaves, second year canes bear fruit.
Old canes need to be pruned back after harvesting is over.

Might not want that growing in your run, birds might strip enough leaves that the plant will die before fruiting....and they can have some pretty nasty thorns that you won't want your birds stepping on.

Blackberries grow on canes, not vines.

They put out new canes each year.
First year canes only grow leaves, second year canes bear fruit.
Old canes need to be pruned back after harvesting is over.

Might not want that growing in your run, birds might strip enough leaves that the plant will die before fruiting....and they can have some pretty nasty thorns that you won't want your birds stepping on. 

These are third season blackberries and they're thorneless. The chickens can't get to the "cane" at this point.

Back
Top Bottom