In coop, will Peepers be ok?

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
Peepers is 2 weeks old... with a 4 week old duck and with 2 7 week old chicks that cuddle with them as well. It has finally warmed up enough they spend their days (entire days) outside. Tonight is their first night out in the coop all night. I don't place water and food in the coop but was wondering if that is okay right now with the baby duck?

I am assuming... but will the baby need to eat tonight at all or be okay until the morning?

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Peepers is 2 weeks old... with a 4 week old duck and with 2 7 week old chicks that cuddle with them as well. It has finally warmed up enough they spend their days (entire days) outside. Tonight is their first night out in the coop all night. I don't place water and food in the coop but was wondering if that is okay right now with the baby duck?

I am assuming... but will the baby need to eat tonight at all or be okay until the morning?
Baby duck would probably need food and water till around 4 weeks at night, but I'd be concerned it would be warm enough at 2 weeks to stay out all night.

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
I checked on them twice last night and everyone was good and the coop stayed warm inside of it. Our nights are going into the 40's so not too low, specially inside the coop. I woke up at 6am and took them some water and food for a few minutes inside of the coop. I didn't let them out because outside was still chilly and they were nice and warm inside. I let them out about 9am when it got nice and toasty. We are in the 76-82 degrees this week. Today is 77 so far... they have all ran for shade even the little bugger wont come out of the shade today, lol.

AmberRex

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
With other hens/ducks? I always leave mine until they have all their feathers and are old enough to survive the cruel ways of "the pecking order" some of my older brown hens are ex cagers and can be quite ill mannered and the chickens and ducks are in together so occasionally you get a bit of ragging between the cocks and drakes but normally all are o.k. Sometimes they are over 2 months old before they are introduced to the others. After a few weeks ( two or three) we move them into the chicken shed by themselves with a heat lamp but we are fortunate to be able to keep our poultry in an old stone built shed in separate compartments from each other so they can see and hear each other before they actually meet. I'm not sure but I hope that this answers your question.
old.gif

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
Thanks, that does help certainly if we get more at some point.

They are all in together but I didn't have any before so the group that moved out there moved out together and have been raised in the brooder together so no problems at all. 2 Silver Laced Hens who are 7 weeks old, 1 Khaki Hen who is 5 weeks old and this little Pekin.

I didn't realize once they are older and you add new ones that there is such a pecking order, good to know for the future!

AmberRex

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Thanks, that does help certainly if we get more at some point.

They are all in together but I didn't have any before so the group that moved out there moved out together and have been raised in the brooder together so no problems at all. 2 Silver Laced Hens who are 7 weeks old, 1 Khaki Hen who is 5 weeks old and this little Pekin.

I didn't realize once they are older and you add new ones that there is such a pecking order, good to know for the future!
It is quite surprising how it works. In general the cock is first then the older hens, but when you introduce more, even if it is a male you are introducing, they can be really picked on by even the quieter hens. Then if you get more again, the ones that are being picked on by your original fowl pick on them the same. Sometimes if it is a group that you introduce then they can pick on the first ones you have. Always introduce them at night when it is dark because although they can hear each other they can't find each other to attack.
hide.gif
In general for the first few weeks your new birdies will be frightened and snubbed by the others but after a while they all settle down and stop looking quite so sorry for themselves and the pecking order has been enforced so there are rarely any problems. Let us know if you get any more/ how your small peeps are getting on. p.s if possible it would be a good idea to get another duck if you could because although ducks are very happy to be with chickens, quite often they don't enjoy the pleasures of being a duck. If you look at my profile picture you will see Amber, who was given to us by a neighbour and had spent all of her life with chickens. Although she went on the pond and loved it, she still stayed with the chickens because she was slightly frightened by the other ducks and the life our ducks have, she missed out on a lot of duckfun. Sometimes it isn't always feasible to do this though, I know.

Top Bottom