In defense of hens laying eggs...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kareninthesun, Nov 26, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Wow. Didn't know how to address this question from an 8 year old:

She asked me how many roosters I had with the hens so I could have eggs. I explained in terms which she could understand without boring her to death that roosters weren't needed. She seemed to understand then went off to play for a while. Came back and asked if, "If this were really true, how come all the other birds that fly don't lay eggs all the times instead of waiting until they have babies?"

Busted! I told her that I though that specific birds were bred because they laid eggs all the time which didn't need to be fertile, such as chickens, ducks. Other breeds of birds need a counterpart (male) so that the babies are then protected by a shell until they are hatched. She must fall asleep by the Animal Planet and Discovery Channel, because she then asked about a dozen other examples of critters unrelated to feathered ones and egg laying. Gesh....

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I feel your pain. Our 5 y.o. GS helps me tend the chickens whenever he's here and he's starting to ask the difficult questions too. I supply my SD's family with eggs.

I have a young hen named after my SD Mandi. I've been trying to figure out which hen was laying the extra large, extra round eggs and turns out it's Mandi. On Thanksgiving day I was telling my SIL that the super large eggs were coming from Mandi. GS overheard and wanted to know why she was laying such big eggs. I told him it was because she had an extra large egg hole. That seemed to satisfy his curiosity.

3. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Aren't kids fun? She later pointed to her Auntie who is 8 months pregnant and said loudly, " Wow! She is really fertile, huh?"

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] haahaahahahah thats hilarious!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Quote:Extra large egg hole!! That's hilarious!!![​IMG]

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011