In DESPERATE need of a crash course in incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenaddict, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I just got eggs from a fellow byc member and had a broody hen on reserve to sit on these little gems. Well the eggs came and the broody took a hike [​IMG] just my luck! So yesterday i went out and bought a little giant still air incubator along with the fan kit but planned on turning them myself instead of buying the turner which was just as expensive as the incubator.

In the manual it doesn't mention what the humidity should be. I ran it all night and got the temps to stay steady at 99-100 degrees and the humidity is 45-48% is that ok or do i need to bump it up. If so how cause i have the water in the bottom like it says to and also added a few small dishes of water in opposite corners and it won't go any higher than that. I have had it on all night to make sure the temps aren't swinging too much which they haven't.

I'd like to set my eggs this morning too but still contemplating getting the turner so i don't have to open the bator 3 times or more a day. Any advice will be much appreciated. One more thing, do i just lay the eggs down on the wire mesh or should i put them in an egg carton? The wire mesh is pretty damp and im afraid that too much moisture will get on the eggs.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

45 to 48% is ok for the first 18 days. For days 19 through 21 add a sponge or something to the inside to increase humidity.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Wheww ok thanks so much. I read and read last night and got soo many mixed reviews on the humidity so i just wasn't sure and of course i want to do everything right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by