1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In DLM people use DE, worry about hurm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by francheska5608, May 17, 2011.

1. francheska5608

francheska5608 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Hi,

I was using DLM only in winter. Now I learned that I could use DLM all year around with DE. But DE is hurmfull for lung as asbestos as I understand.
    It said that DE harmfull for humans' lung. Question: why DE is not harmful for chickens' lung?
    Thank you,

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you sucking in DE as you spread it around? If not, you have nothing to worry about. It would take an awful lot to cause any problems in your lungs.

3. francheska5608

Mar 10, 2011
    I just read about that I have to sprinkle it to wood shavings and on chickens. I've read that I shoud have musk. What about chickens - they are not going to have musks for their lungs. OR I do not understand the whole concept.

4. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Using a mask is a precautionary measure. I have used DE for years and have never worn one. I am simply careful. The DE will get worked into the ground, the dirt, etc and not be an issue with the chickens' lungs.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    DE is completely unnecessary for DLM. You don't need to use anything except whatever you are using for litter, usually wood shavings. You can have a nice coop that isn't stinky just using plain litter. You can also use deep litter year round. I normally like to clear out the coop when the weather starts getting nice in the spring, but when I'm not busy in the garden. That works the best for me. Then I let the litter slowly build the rest of the year.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    why DE is not harmful for chickens' lung?

It is harmful, but chickens don't live long enough for the effects to appear in most cases.

DE is the most over hyped product there is​

7. francheska5608

Mar 10, 2011
    Thank you everybody
    I am a scientist (or may be was – I am sick now) in oncology area and very well know how mutations could accumulate during decades ( smocking for example). I’ve read that people even sprinkle chickens with DE. I also read that food grade one are not crystal so can’t be behave like mutagen? So I a little confused about the whole deal
    Anyway , thank you
    Francheska

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have used it to treat mites, instead of pesticides. It worked for us. It does need to be applied to the bird, as well as the dust baths. There is a big difference in the safety between food grade and pool or gardening grade DE. I'm sure the links provided will explain it. We also use dust masks or respirators when using dust.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  10. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    We have used DE for about 6 years now for fleas, worming, ants, pests around the home, moisture / odor control, feral animal rescues etc. If it is so overhyped, you would not find so many people who swear by it. Do a search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by