In Florida,

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Halion, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Is it illegal to possess a Mallard mix? I was told by a park ranger that my apparent muscovy mallard mix is considered a game bird and is illegal to possess. I am going to contact FWC tomorrow morning, I just wanted to know your guys' imput upon this situation.

Thanks!

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

From what i understand all mallard derived sepices are illegal to own which would mean everything except for the muscovy. We are required to have a permit for them but with the permit comes certain rules of keeping the ducks and occasional visits to make sure everything is up to standard. I am not sure of the whole story but i know that much about owning ducks in florida. Please post what they say when you call. I am very curious to hear what they say.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, that's pretty strict! I don't know the answer to your question for sure, but I do know that Florida has some strict laws regarding mallards. Perhaps you can get some kind of exception because yours is a mule, so it won't breed and add to the overpopulation.

Featherfinder, does the law you mention include mallard derived breeds such as pekins?

4. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Quote:Where do I get a permit? Is it like a one permit for all kinds of ducks or a permit per species?

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

deserdarlene- Im not sure if it includes pekins but if they are derived from a mallard then yes it does.

Halion- I am not sure where you get these permits. I think it is one permit and that includes all ducks. All i know is i know people that have them and they are all told that they will be no check ups and then people will randomly show up to check their living enivorments and if they are not up to the standard they permit requires then you can get all your birds taken away. I have seen it happen and that is why i do not have the permit. The permit is very very very specific when it comes to how they need to live. Any violation can get them taken away from you. My neighbors dont mind my ducks so i have no worry of anyone finding out that i have them and most people do not even know about this law.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by