in ground pond for ducks?

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
Does any one have a small in ground pound for your ducks (a man made one or one of those plastic type ones)

How does it work out? Does it get dirtys?

Do you have any pictures?

Can you have the pond in the same run as the chicken with out any chickens falling in?

I just use the large size kiddie pools for my ducks. If you're going to have a small in ground one you're going to have to have some way to pump it out frequently or a very good filter system. In the summer heat mine needs to be dumped and changed everyday or it is nasty. They drag a lot of dirt in, not to mention the poo.

First I only have two ducks (29 chickens) and I have a garden pond that is 6x5 and 3.5 feet deep and my ducks go for a swim at least two or three times a day (except in winter when it freezes over).
I have no problems with having a dirty pond. I have a filter that is submerged in the middle that I clean at least once a month from say March thru October. I also have 5 good size koi in there and goldfish (honestly don't know how many) and I think they feed on the duck poo, they are basically bottom feeders (carp).
I was hesitant when I first got the two ducks two and half years ago to let them have access to my pond (I spent a lot of time and money building the thing) but I monitored the situation and I saw no ill effects of letting these two take their baths whenever they want. Actually, and I can't explain it, since I have had the ducks the pond is cleaner than it ever has been, I can see completely to the bottom.
I hand dug the pond and then went to Lowes and bought the pond liner (the line is 9 years old and has not been replaced) to put in the hole and then decorated around with large and small rocks, plants etc. I then built a patio out of bricks I bought at salvage yard and purchased a gazebo at Garden Ridge. It is the most relaxing spot on my place, and I can see the chickens from the patio (extra bonus) Me and my SO spend a lot of time in this spot in good weather and when family and friends come over we always gravitate to it.
I has been worth every penny I spent on it.

When we first had ducks we had a bath (human type) that someone was getting rid of. It was cast iron and my husband dug it into the ground and connected a pipe to the waste so that I could pull the plug out and drain it to clean it. It got very dirty and I would have to get in it when empty to scrub it!! I suppose I emptied about once a month. The ducks loved it. I had a ladder type construction going down into it in case anything else fell in - hedgehogs or chickens!! This worked well but sometimes a chicken fell in and panicked so much I would hear it and go out to rescue it. Generally they were careful but they did drink from it. We got rid of it when we built the stable as it was in the way and now have a much smaller container in the run.

They have the hard plastic ones at the Lowes near me. I plan on getting one and hopefully will have it installed this spring. I've also thought about how to keep it clean as I will not use filtration. I'd also like to see other's setups.

jeremy

We had a 40'x60' pond dug out for our ducks/geese. They really like to dig around in the banks and I didn't want to deal with the erosion so the bottom of our pond is natural and the banks are covered with pond liner.

I have one that I will be installing as soon as the ground thaws. I got it cheap from a neighbor. I plan on getting a filter for a much larger pond to counteract the duck's mess making ability. I already have the pump.

I have a couple that I used the EPDM rubber liner in..........so far they have held up well. They are both pumped out using a sewage pump which I keep in each one. In the winter the garden pond in the aviary has a small heater that runs 24/7.

giffy
---------------------
GiffsFarm

aviary-const-14.jpg

Back
Top Bottom