In-Ground Stock Tank Pool

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
My 14 ducks have outgrown their 50 gallon swimming trough. I'm planning to get them a 600+ gallon stock tank to sink into the ground as a pool, something either like this galvanized one or this plastic one. Has anyone used either of these in the ground? I'm curious which would be likely to last longer. I'd love pictures if anyone has any! Thanks in advance!

A few years ago when I had ducks, we used the plastic one, or a plastic one of that size but different brand. We put it above the ground though, so we could drain it occasionally. With 14 ducks, I gather you're going to get a filter, or make some type of bio filter?

A few years ago when I had ducks, we used the plastic one, or a plastic one of that size but different brand. We put it above the ground though, so we could drain it occasionally. With 14 ducks, I gather you're going to get a filter, or make some type of bio filter?
I was just thinking of attaching a hose to the drain with some type of shut-off valve connector (something like this) and draining and rinsing when needed. I'd either put the connector at the end of the hose or leave that side of the pool unburied. A filter would be great, but I don't have electricity down there and I have no idea where to start when it comes to building my own.

Are you filling from a constantly flowing source? If you have the ability to just allow flow from a spring or stream you can come i to the tank with a Tee at least twice as big as your inlet, the bigger the better, low in the tank attach a PVC ball valve on the horizontal portion to drain, and a standpipe a little lower than the rim of the tank, let the water flow on through. Let the water come in on the bottom, out on the top so it tends to keep the muck stirred up and draining.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 3
Are you filling from a constantly flowing source? If you have the ability to just allow flow from a spring or stream you can come i to the tank with a Tee at least twice as big as your inlet, the bigger the better, low in the tank attach a PVC ball valve on the horizontal portion to drain, and a standpipe a little lower than the rim of the tank, let the water flow on through. Let the water come in on the bottom, out on the top so it tends to keep the muck stirred up and draining.
I don't have any natural water sources on my property, unfortunately. I have to fill water with a couple of long hoses coming from the house. I do love that idea though!

I don't have any natural water sources on my property, unfortunately. I have to fill water with a couple of long hoses coming from the house. I do love that idea though!
I suspect if you are filling from your house, unless you have a very unusual situation you are going to find 600 gallons is hard to keep up with. A well is going to have quite a job filling that enough to keep it clean and if you are on metered water it will cost quite a lot. Pump/filter is an option, but from what I hear about dealing with those I surely wouldn’t want one.

I bought a 1000 gal poly stock tank last summer, which I planned to use for our Muscovy but hubby turned it into a pool for our 4 year old girl instead 🤷🏻‍♀️ looks like I’ll be going back to the feed store in a few weeks to buy a 2nd one! Either way, I’d bought this Solar powered pump to feed into a filter to keep the ducks water clean 😁 It shuts off when the sun goes down but kicks back on when the sun comes up … yea, I haven’t installed it yet as I lost my duck pond to our little girl but that is what it is suppose to do! Going Solar is always an option!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0831V5YX...t_i_95Y444MJAYJ1N1H1T019?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom