In heat???

jess22

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2016
I have a female khaki cambel that I raised from an egg. She has n imprinted on me and does not go out with the other ducks because they go after her. In the past few weeks I noticed she will lay her head down butt up. Is she in heat and is there anything I can do or should do? Does this also mean she will start laying eggs

It means that she has reached sexual maturity. As previously said, ducks don't "go into heat"...they just sexually mature. So, yes, she may start laying soon...and, no, there's nothing you can do about it. She will continue to do this whenever she's feeling receptive. Could be all the time, could not. Depends on if she's feeling receptive to your "advances". She may also begin to drip a slippery whitish substance from her vent...again, all part of being sexually mature and receptive. The perils of having an imprinted duck!

It means that she has reached sexual maturity. As previously said, ducks don't "go into heat"...they just sexually mature. So, yes, she may start laying soon...and, no, there's nothing you can do about it. She will continue to do this whenever she's feeling receptive. Could be all the time, could not. Depends on if she's feeling receptive to your "advances". She may also begin to drip a slippery whitish substance from her vent...again, all part of being sexually mature and receptive. The perils of having an imprinted duck!

She needs other Ducks in my opinion.

A biological response in a hen that has reached sexual maturity is "ICK"? Yes, it was descriptive....don't want the OP to experience this and think their poor hen is ill or dying because she may have discharge that can look an awful lot like parts of a soft egg, brown egg, etc in concert with the other pre-mating behaviors that were described. And, yes, the behaviors the OP's hen are exhibiting are absolutely signs of sexual maturity and receptivity. Nowhere in my response did I say that the hen shouldn't be around other ducks. I provided accurate information about the perils of having an imprinted duck....which is something the OP will need to learn to live with if not incorporating it into an existing flock.

Back
Top Bottom