In home raising chicks (keeping odor down?!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coopedup:p, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Coopedup:p

Coopedup:p Chillin' With My Peeps

I raised 2 guineas from about a week or less after they hatched at a friends house. They made a mess of the room we put their cage in. shavings everywhere! and a little odor but not much. I was thinking of raising some chicks after they hatch in the same room. how could i keep the mess and odor down to a minimum?

2. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    There will be dust all over, my wife is about to kill me I have 4 rabbits 33 quail, 12 turkeys and 6 chickens in the bedroom:) Few weeks they can go out again.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I lasted about 5 days with the chicks in the house, they then went out to the north lawn in the back yard. With the rain coming, we moved them to the back porch... it's gonna be a mess to clean up, but they are forecasting rain ALL week here. A VERY rare thing here in Phoenix.

4. Coopedup:p

Coopedup:p Chillin' With My Peeps

yep there was lots of dust! and when the guineas learned to do there loud peeps and squaks it was a mess! haha. but i might set up a brooder in the barn. i just got to get electricity out there.

5. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

the amount of dust chicks produce is shocking. I won't even stick the little guys in the garage.

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    The dust really is a huge issue.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oooohhhhhh, the dust is unreal! [​IMG] I will not have them inside the house ... no way. I have them in the attached garage, and that is about to come to an end, too! [​IMG]

I am currently building a brooder outside, inside of my breeding pens building. There is electricity there, so heat lamps should suffice! (I hope! [​IMG] )

8. hollyandty

hollyandty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    North Pole, Alaska
    Last summer I kept all the chicks in plastic tubs for brooders with sawdust for bedding and the dust was horrible.

I got 35 chicks in November and put them in my "real" brooder, it has a wire bottom and pull out tray. I changed the paper everyday for the first 2 weeks then I put them in the grow out section and changed paper 2 and even 3 times a day until and then I finally put them out in the heated coop at 6 weeks. I was amazed at how much less dust accumulated with the wire floor and paper as opposed to saw dust and tubs.

I will also say that my chicks are way friendlier having been kept where they can see me bringing the food and water and playing with them through the wire. The chicks I raised last summer in the tubs were and are very flighty even though they are the same breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by