In Iowa going to be -10° tonight -16° tomorrow night.

KateLandChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
East Iowa
I'm worried about the chickens. I have 8. They don't have heat now. I use a water heater in a 5 gallon bucket to keep water from freezing. Should I put the heat lamp out there and turn it on just at night?

Just came in from pushing snow. Chickens have been out scratching around. Its below zero or close to it. They don't care for wind or deep snow. Cold with sunshine & they are fine.

I would be more concerned on how ventilated the coop is. Well ventilated, they will be fine.

I agree with Kildare - think dry, not warm. Your chickens are acclimated to the cold weather by now. I'm in MN, so I have temperatures similar to yours. Your chickens are more likely to get chilled with a heat lamp in there, promoting humidity in your coop. You know how 40* can feel warm when the sun is shining and the humidity is low, but when it's damp and 40* it feels like you're being chilled clear to your bones? Or, try this - put on all of your winter gear. Coat, snowpants, boots, hat, scarf and gloves. Now go outside and stay out there for as long as you can stand it, then come in. Leave all of your gear on for at least an hour. This is how your chickens feel. They're naturally dressed for the cold. They can't take their coats off.

Okay, I just went out cleaned their poop board put a fresh layer of wood chips down and opened another vent. I threw some scratch around the coop too. It's my first year and I just don't know so, I like it better this way. When they make it through and they are fine I won't worry as much next time it gets this cold. Heater scares me too since it's such a fire hazard. Thanks for your advice! It's great having somewhere to ask questions and get great responses so quickly! :)

Funny you say that, my husband video tapes for an online hunting show and he was just showing me a pheasant he was recording in the snow and I was saying see the chickens will be just fine! He's been trying to convince me otherwise from all I've read. So, I had to ask you all one more time to just get a little more reassurance. Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom