1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In late summer, a young bird's fancy turns to love...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Henicillin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    ...or hormones, your choice.

One of my eleven-week-old SS cockerels, although he isn't yet crowing (that we've witnessed, anyhow), is nevertheless feeling a stirring in his blood. He's beginning to eye the pullets with lascivious intent, which would impress the ladies were he a mature, studly rooster. As he's still just a little squirt, though, his sizing up of the ladies comes off as rather pathetic and desperate, and makes me want to hand him a copy of "Backyard Poultry" magazine and let him into the storage area in the coop for some private time. This afternoon, he spotted one of the 16-week-old Buff Brahma pullets lounging in a dustbath with her big, fluffy backside facing him. Evidently he found the sight enticing, as the little brat waltzed up behind her and, in a rather matter-of-fact manner, climbed aboard, grabbing a beakful of feathers to steady himself. Now, I seriously doubt that he knows exactly what he's supposed to be doing up there, only that it involves being atop a hen, because he stood there for a fraction of a second with a distinct, "OK, now what?" air about him.

Much to his surprise, the Brahma was NOT won over by his stealth mounting, nor by his smooth charm or good looks. She let out a outraged squawk, leapt to her feet, rounded on him, landed a good, hard peck on his back, and proceeded to chase him all over the run, shrieking her indignation and hurling curses at him the entire time. It was absolutely hilarious - my neighbors must have thought I'm a complete loon for sitting out in the run and laughing. [​IMG] So much for that!

A cockerel can't get no respect 'round these parts...

2. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

omgosh I loved it! Oh the things that we see in our very own backyards [​IMG] what a wonderful story. Please tell some more when you get a chance! They are hilasious

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] VIDEO - We need VIDEO!!!

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hahahaha! F.U.N.N.Y!!!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Poor guy, he needs to work on his moves.

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I know what you mean - our young SS roo is way smaller than one of our RIRs. A few nights ago I saw him leap on her back and start moving away. The RIR is so much bigger than him she hardly knew he was there! Kind of like a little jet on an aircraft carrier. He came to after a moment and wondered, "what am I doing here??" and then hopped off and grabbed a restoring snack [​IMG]

8. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Apparently the Sussex young'uns are a bit slow on the uptake!

10. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    that is FUNNY!! How about a portable stereo and some marvin gaye? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by