In law rant...

Quote:
That's my family... right down to the comment about Outlaws.
big_smile.png

There are plenty of folks who are totally willing to take you as you are. And the definition of a gentleman or lady is one who cares about the well being of those around you... if someone's only servings at a dinner they specifically invited you to will make you ill then they are NOT ladies... basically don't give a crap about you. Not just on a social level... snubs happen all the time, but these people are willing to go beyond social and into threatening you and yours health.... that is just not cool. If you'd just shown up, or demanded entrance that would be different... but they bullied, begged and/or guilted you into being there therefor the courtesy, the obligation to accomodate is on them. That's just my personal opinion. But if I had asked someone to be my guest I would do my best to provide refreshment that wouldn't harm them... at the least. Honestly I'd try to provide something they actually liked, but again, that's just me. That, to me, is basic courtesy. Caring about those that you invite to your home. Someone who cannot manage basic courtesy is NOT an example I want for my kiddos you know? N'mind someone that would purposely try and do them harm.

I agree that for a small gathering, lots of individual consideration should go into selecting foos that the guests will enjoy. Since this was a large gathering, I do not think that really applies in the same manner. For example, my father just celebrated his 90th. One of the cakes was chocolate, and there were chocolate chip cookies. I dislike both, but would not have dreamed that my dislike should have dictated that they be excluded. For all we know the cake at party the OP attended was selected because it was the birthday girl's request or favourite, or maybe it is a family tradition. Really don't know enough to say anything for sure except that there are a number of scenarios that could fit. Since the OP is not particularly close to her dh's extended family, they may not have realized that there was an allergy issue, or the very real danger of nut allergies.

I think the best thing the OP can do is simply take more control over attending events with this portion of the family, limit the amount of time spent, the specific hours (so that she isn't driving home at a time that is unsafe), and maybe even take food or drinks that she and the kids can eat. Maybe try inviting them to visit so that she has better control over the entire situation.

they all know my son is allergic, and there were a total of 12 people, so it wasn't huge, and 4 of them were me and the kids... there was one other kid, there, who I assume, ate with the grown ups, though she is 2, so just a year younger than my youngest. the LAST party we went to there, was only 2 weeks ago, and the GMIL made a cake with nuts on it, and was offended that I wouldn't just 'scrape them off' for DS, who carries an epi-pen everywhere we go... well, I carry it for him, but still. we're expected to go to the 'holiday party', but they usually hold it on DH's birthday Dec 29, and ignore his b-day completely. i think we may just skip it this year, I usually force him to go, because I want to have things be as good as they can be since these are the only 'relatives' within 4 hours... we've got a small batch of family 4 hours away (mine), but the majority of DH's family is 3000 miles away. I am so glad to have the support of you guys, especially the ones who tell me to totally ditch any further obligations. it makes me feel empowered, and kind of grumpy... (not GRUMPY... um, Witchy?)... in a good way. i probably won't stick up for myself or my kids in this instance though, but I can be passive aggressive, and feign illness in lieu of actually attending. the GMIL is super old, so i try to give her a little slack, and when it's her, her DH and me and the kids, it's fine, she makes DS his favorite lunch every time, the girls too... but I think i'll steer clear of the rest of the fam, because really, I just can't handle the stress gracefully. With DH gone, I am up to my eyeballs in stress, unfinished chores and worry... anything on top of just surviving is too much.

you know MY situation ....

I say don't go. will he be home for christmas or is it just you and the kids? if its just you I'd say have a 'family' christmas. The kids will not miss out on anything and it may be more special.

I think it's horrible that they do not give more effort especially since you are flying solo right now. Did it dawn on them that you may like some FAMILY support since you are doing everything right now?

Sorry... I hate insensitive inlaws.

Last edited:
if you could edit out his name, that'd be great, but i ADORE you, and your support. it's really out of sight, out of mind. everyone keeps saying, Wow, he'll be home by christmas? That's so soon! It hasn't felt like that long!!! Yeah right... to you maybe. anyway,
hugs.gif
to you hon.

chickensducks&agoose :

they all know my son is allergic, and there were a total of 12 people, so it wasn't huge, and 4 of them were me and the kids... there was one other kid, there, who I assume, ate with the grown ups, though she is 2, so just a year younger than my youngest. the LAST party we went to there, was only 2 weeks ago, and the GMIL made a cake with nuts on it, and was offended that I wouldn't just 'scrape them off' for DS, who carries an epi-pen everywhere we go... well, I carry it for him, but still. we're expected to go to the 'holiday party', but they usually hold it on DH's birthday Dec 29, and ignore his b-day completely. i think we may just skip it this year, I usually force him to go, because I want to have things be as good as they can be since these are the only 'relatives' within 4 hours... we've got a small batch of family 4 hours away (mine), but the majority of DH's family is 3000 miles away. I am so glad to have the support of you guys, especially the ones who tell me to totally ditch any further obligations. it makes me feel empowered, and kind of grumpy... (not GRUMPY... um, Witchy?)... in a good way. i probably won't stick up for myself or my kids in this instance though, but I can be passive aggressive, and feign illness in lieu of actually attending. the GMIL is super old, so i try to give her a little slack, and when it's her, her DH and me and the kids, it's fine, she makes DS his favorite lunch every time, the girls too... but I think i'll steer clear of the rest of the fam, because really, I just can't handle the stress gracefully. With DH gone, I am up to my eyeballs in stress, unfinished chores and worry... anything on top of just surviving is too much.

I didn't realize it was that small a group; from what you'd said, I had expected that there were at least twice that many there, maybe more. If the kids are fed early, they should ALL be fed early. Quite frankly, I think they should eat when teh adults do, not early, or separate or a different menu--I've seen kids given hot dogs while adults have steak, and I personally find that offensive. Now having hot dogs as an optional alternative is an entirely different matter than going el cheapo on the kids.

I'm guessing that GMIL does not have a clue about how serious a nut allergy can be; maybe you need to explain to her that if he even has a fraction of a tiny bit he could go into anaphylactic shock and die; that people have have that severe a reaction on second hand exposure (same tool used to chop a nut later used for something else, which causes a reaction). Hope DH makes it back soon, and yes, you are quite justified in already having alternative plans (even if they are simply to stay home).​

Back
Top Bottom