1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In lockdown hatch date tomorrow is the humidity to high ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EasterEggersRULE, Jul 27, 2011.

1. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    The humidity is at 60% this morning is that to high ? Its been at 53% for incubation and my sister refiled the troughs and damped the sponge using a straw (have no idea how she was able to do that) and now its up to 60% and climbing a little at a time. Is the humidity to high or will the babies be ok ?

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well for lock down it's recommended 70%-80% So you might need to bump it a lil more if able.

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatch with it between 65% and has gotten as high as 75%. and at 45% for first 18 days. I live in a dry climate and this works for me. So i think you're fine. I get 9 out of 10 to hatch with my own eggs, with it that high. [​IMG]

4. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Ok i just bumped it to 70% and when they start piping i will bump it to 75%

Thanks !!

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I like to use this chart to figure out what humidity to use for lockdown and hatching.
    [​IMG]
    If the air cells are larger than what it shows for eggs at day 18 I will set lockdown humidity higher (70 to 75%)
    If the air cells are the same size I will set humidity lower (60 to 65%)
    If the air cells are smaller than the chart, I will set the humidity even lower (50 to 55%)
    This seems to work well for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by