In lockdown now. Question about humidity

Glenmar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
VIRGINIA
I have a Birnsea ECO 20. I went into lockdown at midnight. My humidity is 54. I thought my air cells looked small at 17 days.
I reduced humidity now they look better. Is 54 ok or should I put some paper towels or something in there????

I'm in lockdown now also, however I have a homemade incubator. I try to keep mine as close to 60% as I can - usually it stays around 58% unless I have just recently added water.

I don't have that model so I have no direct experience with it or how you adjust it. From what I've heard about how good it is, I would have thought you could adjust a control or something to raise the humidity?

The problem with humidity during lockdown is not loss of liquid through the egg shell and size of the air cell. The risk is that the membrane can dry out and stick to the chick so tight it cannot hatch, especially after it pips. Before it pips, I don't think here is much risk of it drying out. Your air cell size is pretty much set. Personally, I'd try to raise the humidity another 10 to 15% if you can. With that model, I don't know how.

Last edited:
I had mine at 55% last hatch and it did great! So I think you are ok
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom