1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In lockdown question about humidity! Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cbader, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cbader

cbader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    My humidity has been 54% , we have it up to 67%, is that high enough? Also, there is condensation on the glass, is that a problem? Thanks for any input.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know about the condensation.

From what I've read, humidity in lockdown should be between 60-70%. So I say you have it perfect. (I'm on my first hatch though and haven't reached lockdown yet)

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you have condensation, I bet your humidity is actually higher than 67. That reading would be very good, IF it's accurate. I never get condensation till the humidity is close to 80%. Did you calibrate the hygrometer? What type bator?

4. cbader

cbader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    So if it is at 80 is that to high, due to when the eggs hatch the humidity will raise again.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You could possibly have condensation if your house is really cold, compared to bator temp, but if you are already having condensation, it could be too humid in there. Also, if you thought your humidity was at 54 and it was really at 64, you may have a problem. You didn't say if you calibrated the hygrometer before you incubated. 80% is a bit high, IMO, even for the last three days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by