In LOCKDOWN! WE HAVE A PIPS! Pics added pg. 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by glewis121, Nov 18, 2009.

1. glewis121

glewis121 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    I am locking down my first 6 eggs on FRiday! (THIS IS MY FIRST HATCH!)

So excited!

I was wondering which method people think is best, putting the eggs on the floor or in egg cartons?

Also, what is the suggested humidity for hatching? 65ish?

Ps. I'm addicted already and planning on putting 60 coturnix eggs in next week after the chicks hatch!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    friday i am also going into lockdown and i am trying the egg carton method for the first time. not my first hatch, just trying to improve hatch rate by using egg cartons. humidity at least 75 + if you need to add more water during lockdown, use a large syringe with a small tube through one of the vent holes buy all means dont open the bator. good luck with your first hatch, and keep us posted on there progress....................................

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good luck with your first hatch! [​IMG]

About 65% is good for chicken eggs. Anywhere between 60 and 70% will do.

After lockdown, DO NOT open the incubator! I know it's tempting, but don't do it. Set up a piece of airline (fish tank) tubing and a needleless syringe in case you have to add water.

Keep paper towels nearby- for wiping your nose prints off the window of the incubator.

Make sure the camera is charged and ready to go!

Happy hatching to all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. glewis121

Oct 17, 2009
    so LOCKDOWN TIME!

I filled the water troughs that the hovabator direction manual sugested and the humidity jumped up to 75%...

is this too high?

I removed the plug on the top and it dropped to 70% is that ok?

What should i do?!?

this is my first hatch and i dont wan to mess anything up!!!

Thanks.

5. busterduck

busterduck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Just locked down. Very excited. Candled the eggs and we could see them moving in the eggs.

What humidity is too high? I guess that is my big question.

Also, when was each of your Day 1. I put the eggs in the bator on the 3rd. I was never sure if I should count that as day 1 or the next day as being day 1.

When does pipping usually occur? Does that take place on day 21, or should they hatched out by day 21.

Sorry for the questions, I am just a newbee.

6. glewis121

Oct 17, 2009
    Before going to bed, went to check on my eggs 1 last time and I was about to turn the light of in the room and then something caught my eye...

A SMALL CRACK! One little crack but it is there!!

I HOPE THERE WILL BE MORE IN THE MORNING!!

How long does it usually take for them to come out after the crack the shell?

7. busterduck

busterduck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Quote:YEA! On which day did you put your eggs in the incubator. I locked down on the same day as you. I had some confusion about what is day 1, the day you put the eggs in the bator or the day in which the eggs haven been in the bator for 24 hours. No pipping yet for my eggs.

I hope you have a little one this morning.

Also, did you get an answer to your humidity question? I need to know the answer too.

Lisa

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]

9. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Different people use different humidity, depends on where you are. I use 70 to 75 when I go into lockdown. I am in N. Texas.

I have 29 that went in lokcdown on Fri. and had several pips last night and my first zip this morning. I have 12 now with pips that are resting and absorbing yolks before they let me see them. [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatches! [​IMG]

10. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:It varies, I have had it take only an hour up to 20 hours. Have heard up to 24 hours. Just have to sit on your hands and wait........... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by